Lincoln Financial stations to Raycom?

Ntropolis

It appears that Lincoln Financial Media's stations(WBTV, WWBT, WCSC) are close to going to Raycom...

Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews/idUSN2538483020071025

I wonder what'll happen to WWBT if this goes through. I'd think Raycom would sell off WTVR with WWBT being the higher-rated moneymaker, reminds me of in Birmingham when Media General bought those four NBC O&Os, MG kept WVTM and sold off WIAT.

Great. Woo-Hoo. As you can see I am being sarcastic. Raycom is OK, but I dont think they are the best. I have a feeling they will be branded the same way like their other stations across the nation. Oak Hill would have been better, imo. Farewell to Live 5 News?

I wonder what'll happen to WWBT if this goes through. I'd think Raycom would sell off WTVR with WWBT being the higher-rated moneymaker, reminds me of in Birmingham when Media General bought those four NBC O&Os, MG kept WVTM and sold off WIAT.

They would probably sell WWBT because WTVR has a virtual duopoly with the CW affiliate. In fact, both stations run out the same building. You can make a lot more money with two stations than you can with one.

Another reason, the loans for the owners of the CW affiliate are guaranteed by Raycom.

I have a feeling they will be branded the same way like their other stations across the nation.

I don't think Raycom has a certain style of branding...now if it were Nexstar we'd be seeing "WCSC News", etc.

Just like Nexstar branded WTWO "WTWO Newschannel". Because we all know that sound appealing.

• 3 weeks later...

The purchased was announced this morning. Raycom will sell WTVR in order to keep WWBT. Early rumors suggest that Gannett is interested in acquiring WTVR, though a Gannett spokesperson declined to comment.

Raycom is also acquiring Lincoln Financial Sports as part of the $583 million deal. Lincoln Financial Sports has the SEC football and basketball broadcast contract which includes some of the strongest teams in the nation: U of S. Carolina, U. of Georgia, Auburn U., U. of Alabama, U. of Tennessee, Vanderbuilt U., U. of Florida, U. of Kentucky, Mississippi State U. and U. of Mississippi.

Anyone know if Lincoln Financial is just a renamed Jefferson Pilot or did they purchase the Jefferson Pilot group a couple years ago?

Update: Nevermind, the article above answered that question.

Archived