November Sweeps

Ntropolis

Out here in the hinterlands (that would be North Mississippi to the rest of you) neither of the stations really do sweeps, at least not in the traditional sense.

I guess the biggest thing coming (for this area anyway) is the semi-cancellation of the long-running music/entertainment/news program "Mornin'/The Morning Show" and its replacement by a more traditional morning news program "WTVA News AM Live" on WTVA-9, which I believe either starts Monday (11/5) or premiered last Monday (10/29).

I say semi-cancelled because the show will continue on Saturday's as "The Kay Bain Saturday Mornin' Show" from 6:00 - 7:00am.

Beyond that bit of news, there isn't really a whole lot going on in North Miss...ooh...the Vardaman Sweet Potato Festival is sure to stir up a story or two during the newscasts this weekend as is Starkville's Johnny Cash Flower Pickin' Festival. And as always, if you love high school football (and who amongst us doesn't love high school football!) you can gorge yourself on highlights Friday night on both WTVA-controlled WLOV-27-Fox and WCBI-owned MyMS-digital 4.2 right after the 10:00 newscasts. Who knows, maybe Derek Cody will get half-way through this program and then ask to start all over! Fun!

so far in the STL market, KTVI is running skyfox for the 5,6, and 9 newscasts and showing them on-air, mainly for traffic, potential breaking news, etc.

but the biggest thing thus far is that KSDK has transitioned the weather graphics to HD! so no more of that annoying dark red bands during the weather segments in HD, but a lot of the graphics right now espically are appears to be zoomed in, and doesn't show everything that it is supposed to.

other than that, nothing in the lou.

I'm not exactly sure what the stations here in Atlanta have planned. I do know that I HAVE to watch Channel 2 Action News at 5 pm (for Coverage I can count on) because my life may be in danger - RIGHT NOW!

Something about fish imports or something...

::p

88728_AM.jpg

This, in reference to the Herbert C. Bonner bridge over Oregon Inlet, is inaccurate. There are actually four bridges leading to the Outer Banks...

1) The Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge connecting Currituck and Dare Counties

2) The bridge between mainland Dare County and Roanoke Island

3) The Manteo/Nags Head Causeway

4) The Herbert C. Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet connecting the northern Outer Banks to Hatteras Island (the one that's falling down)

yeah KSDK ran a story last night about bus drivers that was Reading, talking on their cell phones, and oh yeah speeding too.

They made it sound like it was ALL of the bus drivers in metro St Louis did this, however in the intrest of full disclosure, they said only 31 drivers they showed.

WQAD did a good one on a homicide investigation type thing. I was impressed.

They have a weird one on Wednesday..called "Cancer Street" where a lot of people either have, had, or died from cancer. I'll be interested to see what's up with that.

Not sure what the others areup to in the market..

WKRG has replaced the newscasts graphics featuring (former) helicopter Live Chopper 5 with a 3D animation of the station's logo and pictures of their news presenters. The helicopter has not been mentioned or used on the air in months. Their first "sweeps" story on the Thursday 10:00 PM newscast was about "structurally deficient" bridges and dams in Alabama.

Instead of another half-hour of news or features at 9:30 AM, WKRG aired a locally-produced paid program with local TV announcer Barry Silverman, husband of former WALA news presenter and Mobile County Public School System public relations person Nancy Pierce. Today's program was the first I have seen, but it's said to air every Friday.

WALA's first "sweeps" story continued the "Disciplined Doctors" theme, this time focusing on the incompetence of a local dentist who later committed suicide and a brain-damaged boy who was his patient. Sad and scary music played throughout the report (unnecessarily), which included a reenactment of the suicide. It aired during their Thursday 9:00 PM newscast.

WPMI, which I watch very little of for news, had outgoing reporter Bruce Mildworth report on Internet chat rooms and user terms.

WALA’s November “sweeps” report for tonight’s newscast was titled “Sexual Standards”, which was about the national issue of teachers having deep relations with their students. Some of the report’s subjects were referred to as “male” (students) and “female” (adult teachers). Subjects included teacher Janelle Bird from the Florida side of the area covered by WALA. She appeared on “The Dr. Phil Show” (which airs on Channel 10) to share her story of being an accused sexual offender. The idea of a double standard depending on the teacher’s gender was addressed by one of the subjects, a Mobile lawyer.

The report had music (jazz or jazz-like and dramatic types), but not too much compared to last week’s special report, and censored video of a troubled teacher that has aired nationally. The “Dr. Phil” video shown came from WALA’s broadcast, which had a weather graphic of Baldwin County, Alabama.

Though not a “sweeps” report, but note worthy due to WKRG’s special report on dog fighting at 10:00 PM, WALA reported on a dog that survived multiple cuts in the face from dogs actually trained to dog, earning him the name “Survivor”. News presenter Bob Grip warned viewers of the report’s disturbing images, which aired prior to tonight’s “sweeps” report on the teachers. Some viewers may accuse the station of having a “double standard” in warning viewers in advance of certain reports, but I believe Channel 10 handled the reports well.

WKRG aired their report at the beginning of their 10:00 PM newscast. News presenter Rose Ann Haven warned viewers in advance of the report’s disturbing images, including the dogs’ injuries. Subjects included a member of the Mobile Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Mobile SPCA), an animal control officer, and a local pet owner who believes her three dogs were victims of fighting.

Last but not least, notorious ABC affiliate WEAR unveiled a new backdrop for their newscasts a few days before November "sweeps". This new backdrop came after years of using a backdrop consisting of monitors displaying the Mobile stations, the Cable News Network (CNN), and station-related graphics (including the ABC logo and the logo for the now-cancelled call-in show “Channel 3 News Extra”, which aired after the late newscast in “Nightline’s” timeslot on most ABC stations).

Phew! :)

WTHI is in the process of unveiling a new set, which looks pretty good, according to an email from the news director i got today it is only 50% done.

WTWO is well wtwo.

WTHI finally getting rid of the set that's older than I am! It's about time i'd say.

yeah WTWO, well i'm suprised no-one's threatened them with complaints to the FCC again.

WTHI is in the process of unveiling a new set, which looks pretty good, according to an email from the news director i got today it is only 50% done.

WTWO is well wtwo.

yeah WTWO, well i'm suprised no-one's threatened them with complaints to the FCC again.

i haven't heard about that

WTKR unveiled Live VIPIR Radar today.

I thought the Vipir radar was just a Media General thing?

Didn't 'TKR have that before (not sure)?

That WAVY promo makes me think they'll be unveiling a new look shortly.

With a logo that looks like it would be better suited to the 1997 or 1998 graphics?

That WAVY promo makes me think they'll be unveiling a new look shortly.

With a logo that looks like it would be better suited to the 1997 or 1998 graphics?

Are you thinking of WeatherVision they had for awhile with that hideous logo in the 90s?

No... they had WeatherVision (EarthWatch), then Live Neighborhood Radar, then Triple Doppler, now this.

VIPIR: http://www.baronservices.com/solutions/broadcast/display_solutions/vipir.php

Many stations have it...

No... they had WeatherVision (EarthWatch), then Live Neighborhood Radar, then Triple Doppler, now this.

VIPIR: http://www.baronservices.com/solutions/broadcast/display_solutions/vipir.php

Many stations have it...

What's funny is that WTKR is advertising it like they invented it.

i haven't heard about that

yeah it was sometime ago say 90 or 91, WTWO came very close to losing their license for not covering the IL counties of their viewing area during severe weather.

Archived