Arch Campbell to WJLA

svrtv_editor

From DCRTV:

"We hear from a reliable source that former Channel 4/WRC entertainment reporter and film critic Arch Campbell will jump to Channel 7/WJLA. A parttime gig. The official announcement is to be made on 1/2. Campbell, who'd been at WRC for more than 30 years, said his farewell to the NBC station this past Thursday, after he was budget-cutted. He'll do entertainment-related news segments for the Allbritton-owned ABC affiliate on Thursdays and Fridays, we're told....."

Who didn't see this one coming? WJLA has been picking up people left and right....I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see I.J. Hudson and Susan Kidd on 7 before February. I also, wouldn't be surprised to see Andrea Roane, J.C. Hayward, Dave Statter, Gary Reals, and Topper Shutt over on 7 too. Then again, that's just some damn good wishful thinking.

Rock on,

Tybois Uphold

Editor/News Director

SVRTV-Winchester, VA

9 lost its ratings victory roughly 10 years ago. 7 had since hired several former WUSA news personalities, like Gordon Peterson, Maureen Bunyan, and Doug Hill... ratings have improved for the Allbritton-owned ABC affiliate. With NBC's imposed budget cuts, and Arch Campbell, Susan Kidd, I.J. Hudson, and George Michael being let go, it would appear that WRC most likely won't be holding on to victory for much longer.

Yes, channel 4 will be loosing some well-liked personalities, but most people choose their station based on their news coverage, and that is what WRC does best. I haven't been to DC in a while, but in the past, I have been amazed at the quality of NBC4's newscasts and how the competition fails in comparison.

I doubt that we will be seeing 7 beat 4 in any news period for a long time.

Archived