ABC News "Vote '08" Countdown...

wabceyewitness

Did anyone else notice that ABC aired the 5 second countdown (usually meant for master control at local stations) over the air to the entire network before its "Vote '08" special reports on the Iowa Caucuses on Thursday night? For a news junkie it was kind of cool to see..for the average viewer, though, a bit weird.

Very nice graphics they used, by the way...they took on the look of the ABC network package.

Did anyone else notice that ABC aired the 5 second countdown (usually meant for master control at local stations) over the air to the entire network before its "Vote '08" special reports on the Iowa Caucuses on Thursday night? For a news junkie it was kind of cool to see..for the average viewer, though, a bit weird.

Very nice graphics they used, by the way...they took on the look of the ABC network package.

CBS does that rather routinely as well. Christmas week, on the day Bhutto was assassinated, Russ Mitchell was up with a CBS Special Report during "The Price Is Right" with the full 10-second countdown airing (this was on WTVF-Nashville) and I recall on 9/11 the first CBS Special Report with Bryant Gumble (aired on KHOU) just before the 8:00am (CT) hour had the countdown.

I've just sorta figured that if the local station is airing the direct network feed (daytime, primetime, etc) the countdown will likely appear uncut since it's really there to alert those stations that are either in the middle of a newscast or syndicated programming (or possibly in the middle of a local commercial spot) to switch feeds to the network if they want to carry the bulletin.

Speaking of the graphics...I, too, like the "Vote '08" graphics much better than the "200X The Vote" graphics used in the past few years...they are somewhat reminiscent of the the 1988 - 1998 "XX Vote" graphics used by the network.

Speaking of the graphics...I, too, like the "Vote '08" graphics much better than the "200X The Vote" graphics used in the past few years...they are somewhat reminiscent of the the 1988 - 1998 "XX Vote" graphics used by the network.

WVEC still uses the "200x The Vote" logo for election coverage.

Archived