FIRST on TVNT: KRON For Sale

first on fox

They shouldn't have bought the station in the first place. I still regret the fact that the previous owners would give the station to Young. The station would've been far better as a NBC O&O instead of all that other clutter they put on their now. I mean 6 hours of morning news (4-10am) plus infomercials after that. Then you have Dr. Phil, ET & Insider and My Network TV Programming one hour later? I mean come on. KRON has jumped the shark since they lost their NBC Affiliation 6 years ago. I wished KTVU's sister station in the Bay would get the MyNetworkTV affiliation soon and KRON be fully Independent again. Swap The People Court from KPIX to KRON in exchange for Dr. Phil from KRON to KPIX. Have that station show nothing but movies everyday.

I think Fox would also be interested in acquiring KRON. If my memory serves me right, KTVU's current affiliation agreement with Fox ends in 2009, which would make pretty perfect timing for News Corporation to swoop in and pick up KRON for a song (rest assured, it won't be selling for $800 million again like it did in 2000).

Fox 4 News, here we come!

I think Fox would also be interested in acquiring KRON. If my memory serves me right, KTVU's current affiliation agreement with Fox ends in 2009, which would make pretty perfect timing for News Corporation to swoop in and pick up KRON for a song (rest assured, it won't be selling for $800 million again like it did in 2000).

Fox 4 News, here we come!

Not likely. FOX already makes a nice chunk of money off affiliation fees with KTVU. Who do you think is paying for the NFL, BCS, MLB and NASCAR rights?

KTVU is already one of the strongest FOX affiliates in the country and is so far ahead of KRON in the technology department. Keep in mind that someone is going to have to pay to move KRON from its current digital channel to its final digital channel at the end of the transition. FOX won't buy anything that requires significant capital expenditures on physical plant.

If FOX really wants a station in this market, it wants the KTVU/KICU duopoly. You cannot buy a stand alone station for a sizeable price ($200-300 million) and expect to recover the cost when NBC, CBS and Cox already have duopolies in the market.

If you had to compare KTVU to a FOX O&O, you know damn well, that Channel 2 beats the stuffing and the crap out of the FOX O&O's, particularly KTTV which unlike 2, has yet to go HD, has a poorer quality newscast in terms of presentation and newsworthiness (but then again it's LA, all news is crap here), and has yet to unveil a new newscast (KTTV does not have a Noon, 5p or 6p news). KTTV continues to symbolize low-budget news, while KTVU is holding it down, despite dumping Mark Curtis for Dave Clark, the weekend guy at KCAL.

I seriously don't think KRON4 will go FOX. I can't say that it is a step down compared to what the hell went on there over the years. It would be interesting if it did happen and possibly consequential, in that KTVU's rep might be tarnished. I'd say, KRON should probably go to a newspaper chain, now that the rules have been relaxed.

I'd like to see KRON as is, just without the MNTV and the informercials in the afternoon. If it can work for KCAL, it probably will work for 4.

yeah, KCAL made it work - but KCAL wasn't bought for nearly a billion dollars. and KCAL was a low-budget indie to begin with, so there wasn't that expectation to perform there.

(It always impressed me, though, how when KCBS and KCAL merged, in a lot of cases it was really like KCAL took over KCBS...)

yeah, KCAL made it work - but KCAL wasn't bought for nearly a billion dollars. and KCAL was a low-budget indie to begin with, so there wasn't that expectation to perform there.

(It always impressed me, though, how when KCBS and KCAL merged, in a lot of cases it was really like KCAL took over KCBS...)

For all intents and purposes, Young sold KCAL in order to fund its acquisition of KRON. The sale to CBS was announced in February 2002 - KRON lost its NBC affiliation at the end of 2001....you connect the dots.

KCAL may have been a low-budget indy, but during the Disney years (Disney sold KCAL to Young as part of the ABC merger in 1996) at the very least, the station had a solid news reputation (though that may have changed during the Young years).

When Viacom completed the purchase of the station later in 2002, KCAL General Manager Dan Corsini was made VP/GM of both stations and laid down the edict that KCBS was to look more like KCAL. He also reportedly had wanted to make KCBS move from Columbia Square to the Paramount lot, where KCAL had been, but was overruled.

And who better thank than Don and Nancy for the KCALization of 2.

But, if you look at it, Channel 2 had been a failure for years, trailing in every aspect of broadcasting in the past, especially during the Lawrence Tisch days when CBS trailed in the ratings, so KCAL's takeover made sense.

When I first read this morning that Hearst-Argyle was among the interested parties, it didn't immediately occur to me as to why.

It just did. Heh.

Hearst owns the San Francisco Chronicle and is obviously interested in taking advantage of the recently relaxed newspaper-television cross-ownership rules...since KRON-4 is in the doghouse, ratings-wise, they would be able to accomplish a duopoly with very few problems since the restriction on cross-ownership is that a station cannot be in the top-4, ratings-wise.

The de Young family owned the SF Chronicle and founded KRON-4 which they were allowed to keep under a 1977 court ruling that allowed newspapers, which founded television stations, to keep broadcast licenses but prohibited newspapers from purchasing existing stations (though, obviously with some exceptions/waivers...see NewsCorp with NYPo/WNYW/WWOR ownership).

Meanwhile, Hearst had for years owned the SF Examiner (the competing one-time afternoon paper, now publishing in the morning) but snapped up its more credible competitor when the de Young's sold off the Chronicle Publishing Company in 2000. Hearst eventually divested the Examiner to a local group after completing the purchase of the Chronicle but because of the 1977 court ruling they were prohibited from acquiring KRON in the same acquisition.

Now that Young Broadcasting has successfully destroyed KRON, Hearst can come in and reunite the two de Young properties. The station also fits with their other west coast properties KCRA-Sacramento and KSBW-Monterey.

Young Broadcasters is not doing good at all. I hear that their stock prices of been falling. Here in the Davenport market, word just got out that KWQC's 21 (almost 22 year) cheif meteorologist Terry Swails' contract is not going to be renewed in February. He took the whole month of December off, came back for a few days this month, and has been gone ever since. I've read that "Terry is on personal leave right now, but is getting paid til the end of his contract".

I'm wondering if this could be just the beginning of the layoffs at KWQC, as they do have a few people who've been there for upwards of 20 years.

Archived