Elizabeth Espinosa on KTLA

Gruno

When did Elizabeth Espinosa start at KTLA? I just noticed her around Tuesday in the morning. I did catch a quick segment this morning where Mark Kriski welcomed her and then she said she loves being at KTLA and it is great (paraphrased)

One thing I have been seeing also is Carlos Amezcua signing off at the end of the 10pm newscast on KTTV and he says "Don't forget to tune in to Good Day L.A. at 7am.... it's definitely my favorite morning news show!" It seems like every other newscast he takes a swipe at The KTLA Morning Show. Anyone else notice this?

By the way: first time, long time. I am a fan of local news. For some reason, it just interests me. I don't get too much into the details of PD's and news rooms but I like to read about certain aspects of the anchors/reporters.

--- GRUNO ---

wecome to TVNT...Gruno...I gather you are something of a expertin the world of tv news observation. Good thing.

I don't blame Carlos for taking swipes at his former employer. After all, he was working without a contract for some time, he contemplated leaving, Vinnie Malcolm is not doing a good job, and Tribune is in a financial mess. They recently sold the KTLA studios to private investors.

As for Liz....We'll KTTV seems to be in a similar position, perhaps because News Corp is trying to focus its money on the DowJones and Wall Street Journal and possibly other major ventures. Notice now how KTTV is planning to sell its stations in Milwaukee, Cleveland, Denver, and Salt Lake City of all places.

I was just curious if anyone knew if Elizabeth quit or was let go. Not that it matters, I just am curious.

As for Carlos:

I started watching the KTLA Morning News from the day it started. I remember I was initially upset because when the news show first aired, they had removed reruns of "The Brady Bunch"--- yeah, go easy on me. I like the pop culture of it! :D

I watched the morning news each day before I went to work. I really was digging Barbara Beck (what has she been doing? I know she got married.... ) and enjoyed the looseness of the show. The only drawback through the years for me was Carlos. I felt like he was the fuddy-duddy dad who tried to be hip and cool when there were younger guests or trends talked about. Him trying to talk as if he knew what was up was horrible. I know his son is the bass player for "Under The Influence Of Giants" who garnered minor success two years ago but that doesn't make him "cool" in the eyes of the young and in the eyes of the older ones I have discussed this with, they seem to agree.

Anyways, I was glad he was gone from the KTLA Morning Show. I was there in-studio with Tears For Fears when they appeared on the show to perform live back in September of 2004. Sharon Tay was nice and pleasant. Sam Rubin was also a nice guy (I work for Tears For Fears, by the way)

I enjoyed Giselle Fernandez very much and hoped she had stayed. Now, I find myself switching back from KTTV to KTLA in the morning. Jillian (Ware/Barberie/Reynolds) is just a train wreck with her ADD problems thrust at us each day. She says it all the time as if she is proud. She shouldn't be embarrassed, but to me, just try to curb it a bit and show others with ADD that you can be on TV and successful. But, I guess she is in a way... just not the way I like. Dorothy Lucey... wow, another train wreck (to me). With her constant eyes that must look to space each time she talks to her raspy voice I wonder how long they will keep her... she is looking more and more like a wreck. No, I am not vain, I just know that sometimes in local news the "look" is very important. So yeah, I switch between the two stations and have no rhyme or reason for it all. Do I pick Steve Edwards with the women who I try to ignore or jump to KTLA where Kriski is always down about something? Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Anyways, thanks for the welcome here. I enjoy reading this forum even if I can't decipher some of the behind-the-scenes jargin.

--- GRUNO ---

I was just curious if anyone knew if Elizabeth quit or was let go. Not that it matters, I just am curious.--- GRUNO ---

I read that Elizabeth left KTTV after she was not given an anchor job at the station. So I guess KTLA hired her to be anchor(?). The rumors were that she threw a fit at FOX 11 and threatened to quit if she did not get what she wanted, and well now she's at KTLA.

If that was what Liz wanted, odds she can't get it anywhere, but KTLA which is now in total disarray. Besides Tony and Jean hold it down in the mornings while Chuck and Chris hold it down at night, with Jeff and Susan fronting weekends.

She did do the Good Day LA Sunday newscast with Nischelle, but rumor had it that She and Nischelle did not get along, there was some very bad blood between them, which led to Gina Silva getting the job.

Well, I don't think this will help channel 5, but lets face it, Tribune is suffering. Geez, how many times have I said this before.

• 3 weeks later...
wecome to TVNT...Gruno...I gather you are something of a expertin the world of tv news observation. Good thing.

I don't blame Carlos for taking swipes at his former employer. After all, he was working without a contract for some time, he contemplated leaving, Vinnie Malcolm is not doing a good job, and Tribune is in a financial mess. They recently sold the KTLA studios to private investors.

Just a quick update. Vinnie is gone.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/02/another_zell_shoe_falls_k.php

http://www.ersnews.com/permas_stories_updates/KTLA_GM_Out.htm

This is good news...but then again it could be worse....Vinnie was not that great a GM...considering what he did with Stephanie Edwards, Carlos Amezcua and the newscasts since the death of Hal Fishman, which brought the stations ratings down. The Tribune Company under Sam Zell might not be a good thing.

Here is another reason why Vinnie is gone.

http://www.ersnews.com/permas_stories_updates/1st_amen_2.html

'Sam and Randy, in discussing news coverage, zeroed in on the KTLA decision to leave the Malibu Fire coverage at 10 a.m. for a Jerry Springer show as a “bad decision.” A decision most likely made by General Manager Vinnie Malcolm who sat quietly, taking the tongue-lashing."

Maaaann...Sam Zell must be having one of those Peter Finch Moments...ala "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Let's hope KTLA does not hire another Jonathan Lippman, the notorious KCBS ND (I know ND not GM, but it accentuates my point) midway through the Action News era, and we remember how bad those newscasts were. Let's hope KTLA can return to its glory as being the premier station in Los Angeles. If WGN and WPIX can do decently, well there haven't been any complaints about them, or have they, then I suppose KTLA can regain its glory. Otherwise, I bet Klaus T. LAndsberg would be turning over in his grave, or has he?

Maaaann...Sam Zell must be having one of those Peter Finch Moments...ala "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Let's hope KTLA does not hire another Jonathan Lippman, the notorious KCBS ND (I know ND not GM, but it accentuates my point) midway through the Action News era, and we remember how bad those newscasts were. Let's hope KTLA can return to its glory as being the premier station in Los Angeles. If WGN and WPIX can do decently, well there haven't been any complaints about them, or have they, then I suppose KTLA can regain its glory. Otherwise, I bet Klaus T. LAndsberg would be turning over in his grave, or has he?

Honestly, I think that Sam Zell will be something good for the Tribune company. He seems like the type of person that is not afraid to tell it how it is. Sure some people call him a dirty old man because of what he speaks, but it is good that he is rattling some nerves because quite honestly Tribune has been a sinking ship the past few years and the status quo is just not acceptable. Let's face it Vinnie Malcolm is an idiot and i'm glad he is gone. Vinnie made terrible decisions this past year with the handling of the Malibu fires and replacing the great Hal Fishman with lame duck Emmitt Miller, not to mention as mbhcitysaid above with the whole Stephanie Edwards demotion. Let's hope that KTLA can move into a positive direction and who knows what Sam Zell has up his sleeve.

Honestly' date=' I think that Sam Zell will be something good for the Tribune company. He seems like the type of person that is not afraid to tell it how it is. Sure some people call him a dirty old man because of what he speaks, but it is good that he is rattling some nerves because quite honestly Tribune has been a sinking ship the past few years and the status quo is just not acceptable. Let's face it Vinnie Malcolm is an idiot and i'm glad he is gone. Vinnie made terrible decisions this past year with the handling of the Malibu fires and replacing the great Hal Fishman with lame duck Emmitt Miller, not to mention as mbhcitysaid above with the whole Stephanie Edwards demotion. Let's hope that KTLA can move into a positive direction and who knows what Sam Zell has up his sleeve.[/quote']

DITTO AND BUMP :)

Archived