Once again, breaking news: KTLA now in HD

mbhcity

Breaking News. KTLA now broadcasts its newscasts in High Definition. Though the details are not online, there are several 30 second spots on tv promoting it. On top of that, KTLA recently unveiled its new HD Telecopter. Move over KABC, you're no longer the only news in HD. I guess KABC will have to dump all those old news opens.

I guess we can't call their news chopper "Skycam 5" anymore.

Someone in my avsforum.com posted this today 1-4-2007.

We're going HD next week, err, am I allowed to say that?"

With that Mark Kriski announces KTLA's move to HD. They also showed off the new "SkyCam-5 Telecopter HD" on the ground at Van Nuys Airport. It's orange and way cool. I think it's a Sikorski but am not a Helli-expert. Maybe someone else knows better. I think the old blue one was an A-Star.

Breaking News. KTLA now broadcasts its newscasts in High Definition. Though the details are not online, there are several 30 second spots on tv promoting it.

KTLA is not yet broadcasting news in HD. They have plans to do so, and this will probably happen quite soon; however, all they've been doing lately is stretching the standard def. image on the digital signal to be nearly widescreen.

For the last several nights, they have been doing the news in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio. I know they have run promos, but the HD news on KTLA isn't ready for prime time yet.

Guest Former Member 207

This is just speculation on my part, but KTLA's 60th anniversary is coming up in a week and half (Monday, January 22nd to be exact)...I'm guessing if KTLA News debuts in HD, it would probably be around then, if not later.

This is just speculation on my part, but KTLA's 60th anniversary is coming up in a week and half (Monday, January 22nd to be exact)...I'm guessing if KTLA News debuts in HD, it would probably be around then, if not later.

You're probably right. I now they were running promos for HD news a week ago, but a start date was not mentioned.

Awesome, now KABC please dump the Over the top HD slogans. :p

Since KTLA did begin HD news on January 13, KABC has changed the voiceover for the news. Now they say "Southern California's FIRST high definition news." :)

Guest Former Member 207

KCAL is the next local station to HD, at least as far as sports are concerned. They're doing a Lakers telecast on February 2nd, and Time Warner is launching the KCAL-HD feed on Channel 409 on that day.

Speaking of KCAL and KCBS, does anyone know if the new Studio City broadcast center is about up and ready? The reason why I asked is that I haven't heard much news about the new studio since the groundbreaking ceremony back in June 2005.

It will definitely open sometime soon, though it was to open in 2006. But with the Lakers and (possibly) the Dodgers broadcasting in HD, this begs the question, Will KCBS and KCAL surprise us with a new studio and an HD newscast on that day?????

If I recall correctly, I don't 2/9 is getting a new set. The current set they are in is HD ready and they will just ship it to Studio City. During the transition they will broadcast from a temp set/newsroom. I may be wrong, but I think that is what I read when their current set first debuted.

Speaking of KCAL and KCBS, does anyone know if the new Studio City broadcast center is about up and ready? The reason why I asked is that I haven't heard much news about the new studio since the groundbreaking ceremony back in June 2005.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6412284.html?display=Breaking+News

In addition to the ballgames, KCAL 9 HD and sister station CBS 2 HD will begin producing high-definition news this spring, when the stations move into a new facility.

FROM CBS2'S website

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_031140025.html

KCAL 9 HD and sister station CBS 2 HD will also begin producing 11 hours of live, local newscasts in high definition each weekday beginning this spring, when the stations move into their new state-of-the art HD broadcast facility in Studio City, California.

----

Anyone know when FOX11 & NBC4's newscasts will make the HD plunge??

FROM CBS2'S website

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_031140025.html

KCAL 9 HD and sister station CBS 2 HD will also begin producing 11 hours of live, local newscasts in high definition each weekday beginning this spring, when the stations move into their new state-of-the art HD broadcast facility in Studio City, California.

----

Anyone know when FOX11 & NBC4's newscasts will make the HD plunge??

CBS2 and KCAL9 making the HD switch.... woot! I am really looking forward to this.... This means that 4 LA Stations will now broadcast News in HD...KABC, KCBS/KCAL, and KTLA.

NBC4 should be up sometime soon, as far as FOX11/KCOP.... well they always tend to be the very last in technology updates...KTTV was the last LA station to have a website when it started back in 1999. Plus the GDLA graphics have not changed since 2001, even thought FOX11 News does frequently over time.

True, but isn't it a little odd that FOX 11 hasn't started to use the O&O graphics package, even though they are using the myfoxla.com mandate by FOX? I think they may just wait to unveil their new O&O theme package and HD set all at once since HD seems to be the trend.

True, but isn't it a little odd that FOX 11 hasn't started to use the O&O graphics package, even though they are using the myfoxla.com mandate by FOX? I think they may just wait to unveil their new O&O theme package and HD set all at once since HD seems to be the trend.

I thought that FOX 11 was already using the O&O graphics. I watched the weekend newscast back in November and they were using the FOX O&O grfx. :-\

I thought that FOX 11 was already using the O&O graphics. I watched the weekend newscast back in November and they were using the FOX O&O grfx. :-\

They are....But GDLA has been the same since 2001, sans the 2004 logo.

• 1 month later...
Guest Former Member 207

Just confirmed, and from all places, a sports talk show hosted by one of 2/9's sportscaster, John Ireland. The Studio City broadcast center gets up and running Monday, April 23rd, with CBS 2's morning news the first to go HD.

• 1 month later...

I guess we can't call their news chopper "Skycam 5" anymore.

Someone in my avsforum.com posted this today 1-4-2007.

We're going HD next week, err, am I allowed to say that?"

With that Mark Kriski announces KTLA's move to HD. They also showed off the new "SkyCam-5 Telecopter HD" on the ground at Van Nuys Airport. It's orange and way cool. I think it's a Sikorski but am not a Helli-expert. Maybe someone else knows better. I think the old blue one was an A-Star.

The KTLA HD Telecopter is a Eurocopter AS-350B2 (Astar) which is the same as all of other news helcopters in Los Angeles except for Univison34 which has a Bell 206 JetRanger.

Archived