Trish Yodice

JWERTHE

Trish Yodice leaves WNBC to help kids

BY RICHARD HUFF

DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Friday, March 7th 2008, 4:00 AM

Channel 4’s Trish Yodice is giving up TV to counsel New Jersey schoolkids.

Popular WNBC/Channel 4 traffic correspondent Trish Yodice has traded road maps for textbooks.

Yodice left the station this week - along with the 3 a.m. wakeups - to focus on her other job, counseling students at Clifton High School in New Jersey.

It's a move that has been four years in the making.

"It's significant, the work we do here," said Yodice, who doubles as a director with the New Jersey Community Development Corp., a nonprofit social service agency that works with schools.

"Counseling and therapy has always been an interest of mine."

Four years ago, she began night classes at Seton Hall, while working at Channel 4. She graduated in 2006, and she's been working both jobs since, which has been a grueling, though rewarding, schedule.

"It was just too much to juggle," Yodice said. "I thought about it long and hard. Doing traffic in the morning is not like digging ditches. It was tough to give that up."

At Clifton, she's working with students and their families to improve their lives in school and out.

"If I'm able to help the family, to see the change, it's great," she said. "There are nights when I'm at the center until 8 at night. And I'm driving home and I say, 'Yes, that's why I do it.'"

Occasionally, her two worlds would intersect when a family or student started peppering her with questions about her TV colleagues.

"Sometimes they would start asking questions: 'What's Darlene [Rodriguez] like?'" Yodice said.

Yodice said she's going to miss her on-air pals and those working behind the scenes.

The station ran a clip package when she said goodbye Tuesday and gave her a blender - a running gag for Yodice during her work with Channel 4.

She said she's still adjusting to not working the early shift.

"I got home from a conference last night. I go running up to the bedroom. ... What's the wardrobe choice [for tomorrow]?" she said. "Then I realized, I don't have to get up. Time to break out the blender."

[email protected]

Archived