WDSU's Moreno leaves today; may run for Congress

PelicanGuy

http://blog.nola.com/davewalker/2008/03/helena_moreno_leaves_wdsu_run.html#more

Helena Moreno leaves WDSU; run for Congress next?

Posted by The Times-Picayune March 03, 2008 12:48PM

By Dave Walker

TV columnist

After more than seven years as a reporter-anchor at WDSU-Channel 6, Helena Moreno is departing the station today (Monday, March 3), telling co-workers that she's weighing a run for the U.S. Congress in Louisiana's 2nd District, the seat currently held by William Jefferson.

Officially, "She requested to leave the station (to pursue) some personal opportunities," said WDSU News Director Jonathan Shelley.

Without confirming Moreno's political aspirations, Shelley said Moreno's "personal opportunities" are "not compatible" with continuing as a broadcast journalist.

"We understand her request and her desire to try something outside the field of broadcasting," he said. "We're going to miss her. She's not only a great journalist, in my opinion, but she was an excellent co-worker."

Moreno joined WDSU in November 2000 as a general assignment reporter, following a TV-news post in Savannah, Ga. She has anchored the station's morning news since January 2005, and last fall joined the station's investigative team.

According to the station's Web site bio, Moreno was born in Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico, and is fluent in Spanish. She is a graduate of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, where she majored in journalism and minored in Spanish.

Not mentioned on the WDSU Web site but known to station colleagues is that in college Moreno interned for then-First Lady Hillary Clinton.

Calls to Moreno for comment were not immediately returned, but she certainly sounded like a candidate for something during the last few seconds of her final anchor shift Monday morning.

"I rarely get nervous on television, but I'm certainly nervous now," she said. "I am leaving WDSU. The reason for this is because some recent opportunities have presented themselves to me, opportunities I need to take for the betterment of this city and for the citizens of New Orleans. I want to do more for the city and for the citizens, and that is why I've decided to go ahead and take on these opportunities.

"It is difficult to leave a 10-year career. I've been here in the New Orleans area for 7½ years, and I just love the people of New Orleans. I love this city, and I want to do much more to help this city and the people of the city grow and prosper."

After a fond farewell to her co-workers at WDSU -- "It's been an amazing experience," she said -- Moreno borrowed from WDSU's "6 On Your Side" marketing slogan for her sign-off.

"And remember, that I will always, always, be on your side," she told viewers.

TV columnist Dave Walker can be reached at [email protected].

Archived