Kristine Johnson

nynewsjunkie

Watching a few broadcasts with Kristine reminds me of Lynda Baquero. I noticed that Lynda trips over her own words a lot- just like Kristine.

What I don't understand is why they would allow that to happen. There are plenty of professsional anchors who very rarely flub. Lynda Baquero and Kristine Johnson flub a couple times each broadcast...or so it seems. Also, their tosses to the weather is usually horrid.

Just my observation.

I want to know why did they hire her, when in a couple of months she's going to go out on Matertiny leave. I wonder who will take that spot while she's gone...hmmmm maybe a new hire?!?!

It would suck if Mary Calvi had to fill in, like odds are probable in my opinion. Dana and Mary lead fill ins, possibly Cindy if she is still there a couple times, and Kate a couple times.

I can't watch her. I don't know what it is....can't describe it but it's the way she speaks. Very deliberate, lingers on vowels and lingers on consonents that end words. Almost sounds like she's on valium. And based on her quick- witted tosses and retorts (NOT) I wonder if she is :D

I just watched the first part of WCBS' noon news. It's hysterical. I can't believe that they think that their current team is in any way an improvement over Roz and Mary.

I guess WCBS has just decided to give up. Nobody watches our news, so let's have nobodies deliver the news.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised at how much better she did reading the news for Early Today. But she had horrible banter there as she still does. But really, she didn't stumble over words nearly as much as now. Granted, I usually watched the CBS Morning News over that and only saw her a couple times... but really.. she needs to fix her presentation for local news.

Isn't it amazing that management would think that since viewership is higher at 11pm, maybe showcasing talent from an earlier newscast would translate into higher ratings elsewhere? Do they seriously think that if a viewer watches channel 2 at 11 they never put on channel 2 at noon or 5 - even once just to sample. If you watch channel 2 news at 11 you probably have seen channel 2 news at some other point as well and are at least mildly familiar with the talent. I think most viewers do check out the other stations at some point even during commercial breaks just to see what the other stations are doing.

In this case we don't watch at 5 because she is no good, and putting her on at 11 just reinforces not to bother watching at noon and 5. We know when she anchors. There are enough commercials touting her arrival at the station.

Just let Jim anchor solo.

I think the strategy is to make Kristine more familiar to the viewers. They realized that nobody knows who she is. The more she anchors, the more familiar the viewers get with her (assuming that they don't change the channel first).

Just let Jim anchor solo.

They took your advice the past two days.

Until a few months ago, Dana and Jim tended to anchor solo when one was off. Now they really like to showcase Chris and Kristine. Earlier this week, when Dana was out, Kristine filled in. But now that Kristine is also out, they have been letting Jim anchor solo. This particularly annoyed me on Wednesday, when Cindy was at the desk with Chris at the end of the 5pm show. It would have been nice having her fill in.

But, as I said, it isn't about helping Jim or Dana out. Doing a half-hour newscast solo isn't terribly difficult. It's about giving their new anchors more face time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived