WGN News Update feature

Spring Rubber

Tonight before the Cubs game, WGN did something I've never seen before: a news update inside of the game coverage. Len Kasper tossed it over to Allison Payne in the studio, who quickly ran through the top news stories; she then tossed it to Tom Skilling for a quick weather update, and then he tossed it straight back to Len Kasper to continue the Cubs Lead-Off Man show. It's a good idea, but I think they would've gotten better ratings if they would have went straight to the news. I'd imagine many potential news viewers would've tuned to Fox Chicago for the news the minute they saw the Cubs coverage starting.

On another note, I'm still worried about Allison Payne. Throughout the whole update, she seemed out of breath and uneasy, and it sounded as if her voice was going to break down at any minute. Also, even though Tom Skilling was on the monitor, she introduced him as Jim Ramsey. I sure hope she's going to be all right.

I saw that earlier tonight. They've been doing those updates when they cover the Cubs/Sox/Bulls games from the West Coast for a minute. If it was the Bulls games, they would also do an update during halftime. But you're right. A news open w/update would be better off instead of the sports open-then news update.

Allison will be alright. She seems to be doing a bit better lately. I don't think she saw the graphic with Tom on the monitor so I guess she kept reading through the prompter. Tom stated that Jim would be there after the game.

Archived