KHOU on Temp Set

WXmanTim

A radio-info.com poster notes that KHOU is on a temporary set originating from their conference room. Another poster adds that they are completely rebuilding the existing studio and will debut the new set in September or October.

From the little bit of video on their site, it does appear to be a temporary set-up. Curious to see what the new one will look like.

hahaha. wow that's bull...KHOU is a belo owned station, as with KENS here in San Antonio

KENS didn't get a new set because they were probably rushed to transition into HD to simply have all four belo owned stations in Texas broadcasting HD (WFAA - Dallas | KHOU - Houston | KVUE - Austin | KENS - San Antonio)...by the looks of it anyway.

I believe KENS has had it's same set for over 8 years, give or take. eh but whatever, i guess there will have to be a time where they eventually overhaul their set.

Other than a few redresses' date=' KHOU has had it's current set for at least 10 years. It aged well, but it was definitely time for something new.[/quote']

Yeah, a little more than 10-years. I believe it premiered in November 1997. At the very least, they were using at Thanksgiving 1997.

The set received minor damage (and the morning news set was totalled) in 2001 when Buffalo Bayou floodwaters (caused by T. S. Allison) briefly inundated the station's Allen Parkway studios. I wish I could find the pictures my ex-roommate and I took of the front of the studios the day after the flooding...the front end of someone's BMW (or it may have been a Lexus) had floated half-way up the steps to the lobby in the floodwaters.

This has to be one of the best-looking interim sets I've seen in a while (the set WNBC had before they moved in to their current studio was also pretty nice). Looks like more than just a conference room, too...

khou_newset.jpg.f8b5a4f37bc0a6c32e40e3da04427909.jpg

You know, I recall having read somewhere that KHOU once had their studio in front of the newsroom. The source escapes me, now, as its been a few years, but I want to say that set may have just predated the old old set (the really dark one in the 1996 video on youtube).

Perhaps they have moved into the studio in which it was housed. The other day, when I originally read the post on radioinfo and looked at a video on KHOU.com, there were very obvious white horizontal blinds in front of the window (behind the plasmas) and the only shot was a tight close-up of Greg Hurst.

What's interesting is that the bank of monitors in the background hangs approximately in the middle of the newsroom. Back over the years, any newsroom stand-ups would use this same camera angle (the now wood-covered columns had the old 11News logo painted on them), so the logo in the far background is very likely a window covering (transparency skin): the newsroom has a wall of windows that front onto Allen Parkway. For years there were vertical blinds as window covers, which would often be open late at night and on weekends giving a good view into the newsroom from the street.

Perhaps these are pieces of the new studio, set up in this space, on a temporary basis. WWOR, if you recall, did something similar - using their future weathercenter as a temp set - while the new one was constructed.

The moving plasmas behind the anchors was sooooo cool.

Wow, I didn't even notice that the plasmas move until you mentioned it (and looked closer at the last 5 seconds or so). Neat!

When they are done with the new set in the studio, they should use this one for one or two broadcasts during the day like WNBC.

What are you talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure their new set will be very nice, But I don't think anyone in Houston or the country can beat KTRK ABC 13's new set. If anyone thinks there is another better looking set I want to see it. I think all the stations in Houston look up to ABC 13.

• 1 month later...

KHOU has debuted the finalized set based on the look of the temp set. It was debuted this morning with the relaunch of KHOU's morning newscast. If anything, the new set looks much worse than even the temp set it replaced. It's way too bright and busy.

Archived