Anchor Lisa Schaffner leaving WRIC

tw-804

I wish her good luck on the new endeavor.

From today's Richmond Times-Dispatch...

(http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-08-20-0139.html)

Anchor Lisa Schaffner leaving WRIC

Citing family needs, she's taking position in PR with UNOS

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2008 - 12:08 AM Updated: 08:30 AM

By DANIEL NEMAN

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

One of Richmond's most familiar faces on television news is going off the air.

Lisa Schaffner, who has been an anchor at WRIC-Channel 8 for 20 years, is leaving to take a job at the United Network for Organ Sharing.

Schaffner's last day at WRIC will be Sept. 15. She will begin her job as director of public relations and marketing at UNOS later in the month.

"I'm very excited. It's been a wonderful career here at WRIC, but the moon and the stars and the sun have all aligned and it's just time," Schaffner said.

"My daughter is entering high school, my son is entering middle school. I work very long hours, and it's very unforgiving. They were born into this; they did not have a choice. They want me home, and I want to be home at night. I'm thrilled. They're thrilled. It's all about family."

Schaffner, 46, has been at WRIC for more than 22 years, since it was called WXEX. She began as a police reporter and in her career has covered the shootings at Virginia Tech and the administrations of six Virginia governors.

"She is a go-to person for us in the newsroom and a sounding board for a lot of other staff members -- having that wealth of experience, seeing a lot of different things. She is a public face at WRIC. From that perspective, she means a great deal to our viewers as well as us at WRIC," said General Manager Bob Peterson.

Peterson said the station will have a public send-off of some sort for Schaffner, on the air and on the station's Web site, but plans for the celebration have not yet been made final.

He declined to say whether a replacement had been chosen.

Schaffner's co-anchor for nine years, Juan Conde, said, "Lisa's been a wonderful force for good in the TV-8 newsroom, both personally and professionally. She's taught me a great deal. . . . I'm truly sorry to see Lisa go, and wish her success."

UNOS is a Richmond-based nonprofit organization that matches organ donors with patients in need of organ transplants around the country. It works under contract with the federal government.

"Her visibility in the local market will help us immensely in our mission and get our message out," said UNOS Executive Director Walter Graham.

Schaffner is a native of Columbus, Ohio, and a graduate of Ohio University. Before coming to Richmond, she was a reporter at WBAY, a station in Green Bay, Wis.

Contact Daniel Neman at (804) 649-6408 or [email protected].

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Times-Dispatch...

(http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/breakingnews.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-08-27-0220.htm)

WRIC picks replacement for anchor Schaffner

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 - 01:20 PM Updated: 06:22 PM

WRIC-Channel 8 announced today that Christina Feerick will replace Lisa Schaffner as co-anchor of the channel's news at 4:30, 6 and 11 p.m.

She will begin Sept. 15.

Schaffner is leaving to take a job at the United Network for Organ Sharing.

Feerick has worked for 10 years at news stations in Richmond. She has most recently been host of WRIC's "Good Morning Richmond."

--

WRIC doesn't have a 4pm newscast; "TMZ" airs at that time.

Archived