WTVR ND Chip Mahaney quits

tw-804

From VARTV.com...

:// CBS6 news director quits

pad.gif | Thursday, August 21, 2008

Raycom Media (soon to be Sinclair Broadcasting Group) "CBS6" WTVR Richmond ND Chip Mahaney announced yesterday that he is resigning from the station. He's been named the new Director of Digital Content for the EW Scripps Company in Cincinnati OH.

Mahaney started with Channel 6 just last year, July 9, incoming from FOX O&O "FOX4" KDFW Dallas where he was that station's Managing Editor. He says, "I'm here in Richmond through the second week of September, and I start at Scripps on September 15."

--

My thoughts: I hope the new ND will get them out of third place (the noon and 11pm show is in 2nd place according to May sweeps). Their viewers are now flocking to WWBT and WRIC's news after CBS 6 went "aggressive".

Hate to say it, but CBS 6 News has gone downhill under Mahaney. I stopped watching WTVR last year after they didn't renew then-chief meteorologist Mike Goldberg's (now with MyWeatherLive.com) contract. Then they debuted the red-and-white graphics and that dramatic CBS Enforcer cut they use for the 5, 6 and 11:00 news (I don't know what series number that cut is from). And last month, Tim Trudell and Laureen Martinez (two very good reporters) have left the station. I now watch WWBT for news.

Archived