Channel 5 moves into the Times.

mbhcity

Word on the street is that KTLA could soon abandon its studios on Sunset and Bronson in favor of working side by side with its sister the Los Angeles Times. Russ Stanton was talking about in an interview.

Could this perhaps signal the end of broadcasting from Hollywood? And could this mark the beginning of broadcasting from Downtown? KTLA after all is the only remaining broadcaster (radio or TV) based out of Hollywood. KCET while on Sunset is more so based out of (Thai Town/Silver Lake/Echo Park area)

KTLA has a lot of history in Hollywood and this change could perhaps mark the end of an era.

here is the story.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/09/channel_5_moving_to_times.php

Why would a television station in decline want to move in with a newspaper in decline? Tribune can't be that desperate to try and make it appear like they're cutting costs! After moving the LA Times Home section to Saturday, my brain already exploded! Are we going to see lots of on air/in print reporters now? How odd would that be?

Why would a television station in decline want to move in with a newspaper in decline? Tribune can't be that desperate to try and make it appear like they're cutting costs! After moving the LA Times Home section to Saturday, my brain already exploded! Are we going to see lots of on air/in print reporters now? How odd would that be?

My guess is Sam Zell is taking the NBCUni approach to integration a tad too seriously.

Tribune made a similar move in Denver and St. Louis, but instead of combining with a newspaper they are now living with the enemy.

KDVR (Local LLC, FOX Denver) and KWGN (Tribune, CW Denver) will now operate out of the KDVR studios, combine newsrooms and share some programming. The same goes for KTVI (Local LLC, FOX St. Louis) and KPLR (Tribune, CW St. Louis), but the stations are based at KPLR.

Sounds to me like this is plain journalistic laziness on the part of Tribune, and a quick band-aid way to cut costs.

Tribune made a similar move in Denver and St. Louis, but instead of combining with a newspaper they are now living with the enemy.

KDVR (Local LLC, FOX Denver) and KWGN (Tribune, CW Denver) will now operate out of the KDVR studios, combine newsrooms and share some programming. The same goes for KTVI (Local LLC, FOX St. Louis) and KPLR (Tribune, CW St. Louis), but the stations are based at KPLR.

Sounds to me like this is plain journalistic laziness on the part of Tribune, and a quick band-aid way to cut costs.

Tribune is not "living" with the enemy. Trib and Local TV are pretty much two companies under one ownership, kinda like Nexstar and Mission Broadcasting. Do not be suprised if you see news operations at KWGN and KPLR eliminated completely in favor of the more established (KTVI) and more profitable (KDVR).

That will be real fun for KPLR's Rick Edlund. If that happens he will have been let go at 3 stations in St. Louis. He's already been at KSDK and KDNL. Although if he isn't he'll be the first person in several years to work at every station in St. Louis.

Archived