New GM for WGNO/WNOL

PelicanGuy

Tribune announces new GM for WGNO, WNOL in New Orleans

Posted by Dave Walker, TV columnist, The Times-Picayune September 15, 2008 5:02PM

Categories: Living: Columnists

Chicago-based Tribune Co. announced Monday (Sept. 15) that Phil Waterman will be vice president and general manager for its New Orleans stations, WGNO-Channel 26 and WNOL-Channel 38, effective Sept. 29.

Waterman currently oversees Baton Rouge Fox affiliate WGMB-TV, CW affiliate WBRL-TV, NBC affiliate WVLA-TV and independent KZUP-TV, owned by Communication Corporation of America.

"Phil is a talented and tested broadcasting executive with tremendous sales and marketing experience," said Ed Wilson, president of Tribune Broadcasting, in a Tribune news release. "He's led as many as eleven stations as group vice president, and worked with virtually every major network during the course of his career. Having been just up the road from New Orleans for the past four years, he's very familiar with the needs of the community's viewers and advertisers."

Communication Corp.'s Baton Rouge stations have served as WGNO's backup broadcast locations during recent hurricanes.

"I've been through a lot during my time in Baton Rouge," Waterman said in the release. "Hurricanes Katrina and Rita really tested our station group, and now we're dealing with the aftermath of Gustav and Ike. As our station group has served as the emergency back-up for WGNO/WNOL, I've had the opportunity to become very familiar with their operations."

Waterman replaces Larry Delia, who served as vice president and general manager of Tribune's New Orleans stations for the past six years. Delia now oversees the Tribune-owned Fox affiliate in Harrisburg, Pa.

Archived