Arizona's first all African-American news team

l14dap

I actually noticed this for KMSB's weekend newscasts several weeks back, but didn't think much of it until I saw this article in the Tucson Weekly today:

ARIZONA'S FIRST ALL-AFRICAN-AMERICAN NEWSCAST? Some Media Watch readers have pointed out KMSB's all-African-American weekend news team. It's hard to verify, but it's possible that the grouping of anchor Deanna Morgan, sportscaster Brandon Nash and Phoenix weather personality Brittney Shipp (KMSB still pipes in its weather from the Valley) is the first all-black on-air crew in the state. It's probably a safe bet that it's a first for Tucson.

I guess it's being noted only because Tucson is about 35% Hispanic and has a very small African-American population.

Do any other stations have all-black, all-Asian, or all-[insert ethnicity here] newscasts?

I actually noticed this for KMSB's weekend newscasts several weeks back, but didn't think much of it until I saw this article in the Tucson Weekly today:

I guess it's being noted only because Tucson is about 35% Hispanic and has a very small African-American population.

Do any other stations have all-black, all-Asian, or all-[insert ethnicity here] newscasts?

KTVI in St Louis has an all-black weekend newscast, minus meteorologist Chris Higgins, and I guess if he wanted to, he could with black military paint since he's a captain in the military.

I don't think we've ever had a black weathercaster...

Well, unfortunately, she ain't that good yet. She seems too green to be on-air in Tucson. But then I remember that she does the weekend weather not just for KMSB, but she works for KTVK-- I feel sorry for those Phoenix folks who are probably accustomed to seasoned forecasters with great on-air presence or actual meteorologists.

KTVK used to have another black weathercaster, Brad Perry, do weather in the mornings before he got reassigned to his current position as a morning reporter.

Archived