CN8 "Reorganizes," Slashes 300 Jobs

first on fox

Comcast Corp. said Wednesday it is closing its CN8 operations in New England and splitting what remains of the channel into two channels in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

CN8 had been a super-regional channel serving Comcast customers in Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Harrisburg, Pa.; Baltimore; and Washington, D.C. It is splitting into two channels, each of which will be called the Comcast Network. One in Philadelphia will serve the Philadelphia area, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. The one based in Washington will serve Baltimore and Washington.

The move will result in the elimination of most of the 300 positions associated with CN8, Comcast said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2008/11/03/daily27.html

At its best, CN8's Nielsen rating in the Philadelphia market was typically about 0.2 - fewer than 6,000 households, out of 2.8 million.

A majority of the 300 employees at CN8, which operates out of Philadelphia, Boston and Washington, will be laid off, although some could be offered other jobs at Comcast, a Comcast official said. The channel will be rebranded "the Comcast Network" in Philadelphia and Washington, the Comcast official said.

Doyle, who is host of the nightly It's Your Call show, last night said that she had been assured that she would continue to have a prominent role at the network.

A Comcast official said a Sunday evening program with Larry Kane, Voice of Reason, will remain, as will Roll Call in Washington, hosted by Robert Traynham, a partnership with the influential political newspaper.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/business_breaking/20081105_Comcast_to_ax_CN8_name__restructure_cable_channel.html

While I feel sorry for the 300 or so who will be laid off, I have to say, it couldn't have happened to a "nicer" bunch of people! The only disappointing thing is Mike Doyle has already bailed on that sinking ship...

I remember when I moved to New Jersey in 2001, I thought CN8 was a great local cable station because they aired New Jersey high school sports, Trenton Thunder baseball games, Trenton Titans hockey games, and they video simulcasted New Jersey 101.5 Morning Show with Jim Gearhart plus I liked Lou Tilley's Sports Connection. Most of CN8's programming even though the network was based in Philly was mostly New Jersey oriented and then come the next year the NJ 101.5 simulcast went away south of Mercer County in favor of "Your Morning" and then Comcast decided to expand and "super-regionalize" the network to DC-Baltimore area. After the expansion, the network, to me, went into a free fall it got worse when they expanded to New England. I moved in 2004 and came back the next year only to find Lou Tilley's show was renamed and cut in half.

I know the economy sucks now but Comcast should've just kept CN8 Philly-Jersey oriented instead of expanding, at least it would've saved money for Comcast and ratings would've been a little better in my mind.

Hell, I don't even get CN8.

I had it when I had Comcast, but now I have Verizon, which is far more superior than Comcast. :D

Do you ever have problems with your cable service? Ours sucked with Comcast.

Archived