Industry-wide Late News Doldrums

Guest zas1977

Starting morning news at 5am is too early to me but 4:30am!!! Next thing you know we will have 4am newscasts. Imagine this, Channel ___ Eyewitness News or Newschannel __, The Graveyard Shift!!! I'm sorry but I still think that local news stations should have stuck with a 5:30 am Sunrise newscast with a solo anchor and AM met. and then your typical morning newscast from 6am-7am. If you need local news before 5:30am then look it up online.

Guest Broken News

Starting morning news at 5am is too early to me but 4:30am!!! Next thing you know we will have 4am newscasts. Imagine this, Channel ___ Eyewitness News or Newschannel __, The Graveyard Shift!!! I'm sorry but I still think that local news stations should have stuck with a 5:30 am Sunrise newscast with a solo anchor and AM met. and then your typical morning newscast from 6am-7am. If you need local news before 5:30am then look it up online.

It's been tried in Kansas City. KSHB-TV had a short-lived 4am news block. I believe competitor KCTV tried a 4:30am around the same time. Both were axed.

Okay - that talks about stations that go on at 11pm, what about the midwest? The late news here is 10pm and on FOX it's 9pm. Is there still that drastic difference in ratings? If more people are willing to watch a (for this timezone purpose) east coast FOX 10pm news, versus the NBC 11pm, what about the Central time zone? Would those people be willing to watch the 10pm news or rejoice in the 9pm news?

Guest Broken News

Okay - that talks about stations that go on at 11pm, what about the midwest? The late news here is 10pm and on FOX it's 9pm. Is there still that drastic difference in ratings? If more people are willing to watch a (for this timezone purpose) east coast FOX 10pm news, versus the NBC 11pm, what about the Central time zone? Would those people be willing to watch the 10pm news or rejoice in the 9pm news?

Posters from St. Louis can verify this, but past reports I've read are that the 10pm news in that particular midwest market has seen the exact same erosion as 11pm newscasts on the east coast.

Guest Milwaukee12

The news at 9 is too early for me. The 10pm news is suitable for me because it is at the right time before most people here go to bed. The 11pm news would be too late.

Here in Milwaukee, the 10pm news is the most watched newscast of the day.

Guest zas1977

Posters from St. Louis can verify this, but past reports I've read are that the 10pm news in that particular midwest market has seen the exact same erosion as 11pm newscasts on the east coast.

The article is a bit flawed, as it cites WLS as having an 11PM newscast:

"In Chicago, the household-ratings average has fallen nearly 9% year-to-year, dipping even further during the latest May sweeps. Chicago is one of the country's strongest news markets, however, with ABC O&O WLS leading the way. In November 2005, the powerhouse station scored a 10.8/18 among households at 11 p.m., seeing only a small drop this past November at a 10.6/17. But CBS' WBBM dropped 8% year to year, while NBC's WMAQ fell 11%."

However, the intent of the statement is to draw the conclusion that no matter the time, 11PM ET/10PM CT, the market for late news is shrinking across the country.

Archived