WFLD, warning crawls, and HD

Spring Rubber

While I was watching 24 in HD on Monday, I noticed that every time a warning crawl was to be displayed, (for flood warnings and lake effect snow watches, in this case) they switched the digital channel over to the analog channel's feed. Do they have some issue with not being able to output a crawl on two channels simultaneously? If so, they should really do something about that. Not only does this cause the programming to be 4:3 SD, but the video also becomes horribly choppy; it's especially noticeable in when there's significant motion.

On another note, Fox national really should start using their own transparent Fox HD bug, just like the other networks. WFLD's colored bug for national programming is really distracting. Either that, or Fox should at least issue a directive to their O&Os to use transparent bugs.

Well, at least your FOX O&O doesn't have 2 bugs (or a split personality, you decide). KTVI has a digital bug (old FOX2 Logo) and the new FOX2St. Louis during non-hd programming.

We also have problems over KSDK who seems to know how insert HD crawls (sometimes), say during inclement weather, but not during S.A.R.A.A. Alerts (Missouri's and Southern Illinois equivalent of an Amber Alert).

So at KTVI, KMOV, KPLR, and KDNL the switch will get flipped back and forth (SD/HD) during bad weather. Did I mention you miss dialog when that happens?

While I was watching 24 in HD on Monday, I noticed that every time a warning crawl was to be displayed, (for flood warnings and lake effect snow watches, in this case) they switched the digital channel over to the analog channel's feed. Do they have some issue with not being able to output a crawl on two channels simultaneously?

Yes. It requires the addition of a high-definition capable character generator at the station, which is often a large expense that isn't spent until the station upgrades to HD production capability (HD news).

• 3 weeks later...

uh, no they don't. They replaced it pretty quickly with new panels featuring a considerably larger new logo instead of millions of small ones (although the sides still have a similar effect with "Fox 29" text, not the logo). They also recently added a center monitor that has an animated Fox 29 logo.

Archived