BBC World - New Graphics

Andy B

Here's a explanation into why they changed it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2007/01/changing_looks.html

Caps thanks to "the eye" on TV Forum

bbcwnews1.jpg

bbcwnews2.jpg

bbcwnews3.jpg

bbcwnews4.jpg

bbcwnews5.jpg

World Business Asia:

abrnew1.jpg abrnew2.jpg

Video:

http://www.damiankovacs.com/caps/bbc-twt-07.rm

http://www.damiankovacs.com/caps/bbc-wn-07.rm

Looks good to me, the LIVE Strap is too bulky and can easily get cut off by overscan.

Here what BBC News 24 looks like in Widescreen (thanks to Bail):

n01.jpg

n02.jpg

n03.jpg

n04.jpg

n05.jpg

n06.jpg

n07.jpg

Those BBC World screenshots and videos weren't working; here's a clip on YouTube.

(more from that same user)

I like this. The animation's a lot crisper than before, and I like the new bug/ticker placement. Never really liked the "tower" bug they were using before to begin with. The lower-thirds are a bit plain, but overall I'm digging the whole look.

The only problem I've got with the BBC is the insistence on broadcasting in 14:9. Yes, you read right. Widescreen, sorta. The graphics are great, but why can't they do 16:9 like Sky and ITV?

The graphics are really nice. The other nit is WLIW (KETC gets BBC World through them) is hacking up parts of the Early and Late bulletins.

Guest newscentre_australia

The only problem I've got with the BBC is the insistence on broadcasting in 14:9. Yes, you read right. Widescreen, sorta. The graphics are great, but why can't they do 16:9 like Sky and ITV?

The graphics are really nice. The other nit is WLIW (KETC gets BBC World through them) is hacking up parts of the Early and Late bulletins.

BBC broadcast in 16:9 on digital only. 14:9 is a compromise only on analogue channels.

BBC broadcast in 16:9 on digital only. 14:9 is a compromise only on analogue channels.

A quick question, if I may:

Why don't they just broadcast in 16:9 and letterbox it? That's simply what networks (in the US/Canada) would do to show a movie in it's theatric aspect. It makes sense what they are doing, but I just wanted to toss that into the ring.

Archived