KABC Shorthanded on Weekends?

LosAngeles7

This is the second weekend in a row I have seen odd things coming out of KABC's newscasts. Last week, Micah Ohlman anchored solo, while this week John Hartung (yes, the sports reporter) is anchoring with Jovana Lara. Now, I can understand this coming out of some of LA's other stations, like KTLA, but this is highly un-KABC. To the observant viewer and as my favorite book on the business might agree, I think this looks pretty cheap for a top station in a top market. I remember Leslie Miller, John Gregory, and Carlos Granda, just to name a few, being used to sub on weekends in past months. Does KABC not have enough weekday reporters anymore? There are currently reporter/anchor job listings on their website, but I don't think there's ever been a time when there weren't any...

I have also been wondering for awhile what happened to KABC reporter Elsa Ramon. I think she sat in on weekends a couple times when she was around, but it seems that she's been away for some time. So, I finally looked her up, and I found that she's landed on WOAI in San Antonio anchoring weeknights. Good news there for both stations. That should make KABC look like a good career move for those who want a shot at anchoring a major newscast, and WOAI gets some pretty good talent.

Archived