WITI "suspends" weekend newscasts

Weeters

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/40781277.html

Channel 6 "suspends" some weekend newscasts

By Tim Cuprisin of the Journal Sentinel

Mar. 5, 2009 10:09 a.m.

Channel 6, Milwaukee's Fox affiliate, is "suspending" its weekend morning newscasts, along with the 6 p.m. Saturday and 5 p.m. Sunday broadcasts, because of the tightening economy.

The changes hit the first weekend in April -- the beginning of the second quarter -- and include the return to the Saturday morning lineup of Gus Gnorski's "Ask Gus" show.

General manager Chuck Steinmetz says he hopes to bring those newscasts back when things get better.

"That’s why we use the word suspend and not cancel,” he says.

I'll have more in Friday's column.

It's about time! Did anyone watch those midday weekend newscasts anyways?

Did anyone watch those midday weekend newscasts anyways?

Shh!!

Anyway it's great to see a station suspending a newscast and promising a return instead of just canceling them outright and firing people. I'm sure it will result in hours being cut for some people which is unfortunate.

I hope this means the weekend evening newscasts will stop being "Best of FOX 6" episodes where seemingly random packages from the past week are re-aired and they'll find some actual new news to report.

Archived