WYOU Ceasing Local News Broadcasts

NewsJunkie247

WYOU, CBS in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, will shut down their news operations. The last broadcast is tonight at 11. WYOU, owned by Nextar Broadcasting, is the sister station of the NBC affiliate in the market - WBRE.

Apr. 3--WYOU-TV 22, the CBS affiliate serving Northeast Pennsylvania, announced this afternoon that starting Saturday it will no longer offer local news broadcasts. The change will mean the elimination of 14 full-time employees in the station's news, production and promotion departments.

Replacing the noon, 5 p.m., 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. news and WYOU Interactive programs will be entertainment shows including Access Hollywood, Judge Judy and The Insider.

In a Business Wire release, Lou Abitabilo, general manager for Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc.'s WBRE, which had been providing operational and sales services for Mission Broadcasting which owns WYOU, said, "By offering a broad range of popular entertainment choices to our Wilkes Barre/Scranton viewers, WYOU can provide additional attractive business solutions to our advertisers and as such we believe this is a win-win situation for our entire community." In that same release, Dennis Thatcher, chief operating officer for Mission Broadcasting, said, "WYOU strives to deliver the most compelling television programming in the market to meet the demands and interests of our valued viewers. The viewers have spoken, letting us know that WYOU is the station they rely on for entertainment and we are confident the station's already solid line up will be bolstered with the addition of entertainment and news magazine programming including Judge Joe Brown, Access Hollywood and Entertainment Tonight which will replace the station's news programming. With the addition of this content we've got an incredible array of offerings including the renowned CBS network entertainment, news, soaps and sports programming in addition to our already programmed syndicated game show, news magazine and entertainment favorites."

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/128413099

WYOU, CBS in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, will shut down their news operations. The last broadcast is tonight at 11. WYOU, owned by Nextar Broadcasting, is the sister station of the NBC affiliate in the market - WBRE.

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/128413099

The first I've heard...and maybe more to come.

Since I don't live in the area, I couldn't watch the last broadcast, but a poster on TVSpy said that it was horrible. They just did the news, and during their interactive segment, they had somebody on there who was talking about living past 100. During a call from a viewer during the segment, somebody asked about the layoffs and WYOU shutting down news operations and the anchor (Eric Shiener) said he couldn't talk about it.

It's not surprising that WYOU is ceasing local news because I have relatives in the area and have watched their news once or twice, and I was not impressed. With a market leader like WNEP, WYOU will be fine with "Judge Joe Brown" at 4 and "Boston Legal" at 11.

Archived