The Return of The CW to Tribune branding?

SterlingNorth

It can't be a trend yet. It takes three for a trend, and I only see two cases so far.

Early last month, I noticed that WDCW's DC50 logo bug once again sported the CW logo in it. Not unlike how WGN fashions the logo, although they use the WGN9CW very sparingly. A few days ago, they updated their website to include the updated logo as well.

Likewise, KWGN's new logo for (you've got to be kidding me) "The Deuce" also sports the CW logo, although less prominently than with WDCW.

Could this be a concession to the fact that despite how badly the CW is doing right now, the Tribune station group doesn't have much other choice but to make the best of it and actually promote the network?

Well, they might have discovered that if the network fails, they'll be among the collateral damage. The Tribune Company doesn't appear to be in any position to launch their own nation service, like folks have been hinting seven months ago. And today, syndicated reruns and court shows are thin gruel to build a network around when you have may more entertainment options.

Well, last year at this time CW's fate was much less certain. Now, we know that it's going to continue for at least one more year in its current form.

Plus it doesn't look like they're going to be dumping the new local brands, but putting them together with CW when needed. You can already see that on WPIX's site, and when I was last in NYC I saw ads with PIX(11)CW.

. You can already see that on WPIX's site, and when I was last in NYC I saw ads with PIX(11)CW.

It's been like that since the launch in November.

I'm glad the Tribune stations don't brand with the CW in the name anymore. I think stations are more successful if they are more locally branded within their respective markets--especially more independent stations...I think it is ridiculous anyway to brand as CW 11 for example, when CW programming is only 2 hours a day (4 if you count the afternoon block).

The My station branding for My Network TV's affiliates for 2 hours of primetime programming is absolutely ridiculous. That so called network is a joke anyway. It might be more successful if it was acutally incorporated with Fox's programming.

I'm glad the Tribune stations don't brand with the CW in the name anymore. I think stations are more successful if they are more locally branded within their respective markets--especially more independent stations...I think it is ridiculous anyway to brand as CW 11 for example, when CW programming is only 2 hours a day (4 if you count the afternoon block).

The My station branding for My Network TV's affiliates for 2 hours of primetime programming is absolutely ridiculous. That so called network is a joke anyway. It might be more successful if it was acutally incorporated with Fox's programming.

I would agree if most of the Tribune brandings weren't things like "The 33", "The 39" (which admittedly are among the better ones in the Tribune circle). Once again, we demonstrate that most local stations can't brand worth a damn.

Ironically, DC50 is one of the better brandings.

Speaking of "The 33"' date=' KDAF attached the CW to the right of their branding. Although the logo is not yet updated on their website, they have it on their Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDAF[/quote']

KDAF still continues to use 'The 33' logo without The CW logo. The only time you might see the CW logo is when they run a network promo. All other local programming is referred to The 33.

Archived