WKMG: Layoffs and Newscast shuffles

abric

From http://www.rogersimmons.com/tv

Thursday was a sad day for those at WKMG-Local 6.

Hit hard by the sagging revenue and sagging ratings, the CBS affiliate reportedly laid off 20 staffers and canceled its 4, 5 and 5:30 newscasts. Starting Monday, WKMG will air Dr. Phil from 5 to 6 p.m. and an hourlong newscast from 6 to 7 p.m. The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric moves to 7 p.m. from 6:30.

If this lineup sounds familiar to TV observers, that's because it's the forumla used at Post-Newsweek sister station WPLG-ABC 10 in Miami and at Gannett's WTSP-CBS 10 in Tampa. Both stations moved Dr. Phil to 5 p.m. to compete against rivals' local newscasts, and both saw bumps in ratings for their 6 p.m. newscasts -- a feat Local 6 hopes to repeat. But it may not be so easy.

Just last week, WTSP announced plans to move Dr. Phil to 7 p.m. and go back to having local news in 5 p.m. hour. The reason? As TampaBay.com blogger Eric Deggans explained, "When they first began airing the show at 5 p.m. against local newscasts, it was an inspired move. Viewers flocked to the only big network affiliate that wasn't offering local news in the time period and Dr. Phil McGraw's mystique as a star disciple of Oprah was probably convincing more than a few of her viewers on WFLA-Ch. 8's 4 p.m. show to switch over to Dr. Phil at 5 p.m. But recently Dr. Phil has begun to sag in the ratings as the show's novelty has worn off and McGraw has increasingly turned to tabloid subjects."

But back to WKMG. Sentinel blogger Hal Boedeker says among those who lost jobs on Thursday at third-ranked WKMG were Adam Longo, Kimberly Houk and Tiffany Tift.

WKMG GM Skip Valet wouldn't confirm how many people lost their jobs at the station on Thursday. "Every department had some staff reductions," he told Boedeker. He also said the reductions were "excpected." He said, "People paying attention to what's happening in our business -- it doesn't shock them."

A promo of the changes can be found here: http://www.clickorlando.com/video/19334716

ASIDE from the layoffs, I think only having an hour of news is a good idea, perhaps it will become better quality??? I was hoping some stations in Albany would try it. At this point I think people would rather watch a show like Ellen, let's say, then the news...

yupp, wnyt didn't even say anything when the leading anchor just wasn't there one night, along with the rest of the talent!!!....but some local papers had the story

Does anyone find it hypocritical of the news media to not report on their own layoffs, yet gleefully report on other industries who layoff their workers?

You bet. Newspapers don't seem to be so hesitant to report job losses in TV or print.

Does anyone find it hypocritical of the news media to not report on their own layoffs, yet gleefully report on other industries who layoff their workers?

While I agree there is quite the double standard when it comes to reporting layoffs, I strongly disagree that we "gleefully" report layoffs. Poor choice of words.

Archived