Gary Papa has passed away.

ElliotJones

Action News at 5 started cold tonight; no MCTYW. This is only the second time I've seen them do this - the first being 9/11.

Most of the broadcast is going to be devoted to this. Jamie Apody had a heartfelt, tearful tribute. They got Michael Nutter to do a live interview. They even broke out the crawl for viewer input, which I kind of find tacky, but...

The most heartwrenching moment wasn't on 6, though. KYW Newsradio interviewed Scott Palmer at around 4:15, and Scott barely got through the interview.

Edit: They seem to be getting material from almost every on-camera anchor and reporter thus far. Vernon Odom and Nora Muchanic just on.

Seeing footage of Gary at the memorial for Harry Kalas at Citizens Bank Park two months ago gave me the impression that he was bad off. Still, his passing hurts tremendously. His life can be summed up in 3 words that begin with p: professionalism, personality, and perseverance. May God bless his family and friends in these trying times. RIP Gary.

Archived