Stingers...

ProButtonPusher

Ahoy,

I have set them up before in a sports and news environment before. It all depends on your hardware. Usually a station will have some sort of clip playback server. (Avid thunder, Fast Forward, VizRt)

Depending on how complex your switcher is you may have to set up a GPI trigger to "trigger" the effect. Some newer switchers will "talk" to the hardware and set it up with out GPI's.

You might need to set up another GPI to cue the animation, and one to play. I also created one that would advance down the playlist.

Basically with graphics I would design them all with a "sweet spot". Say 15 frames in. Where the video is full. We would set up the custom key on the switcher (or macro) to key in effect run it switch sources under the effect then lose the key. You can also program in it to trigger a SFX out of a digicart if your clipstore does not have audio on it.

One note if you are not the person setting up the custom key be sure to keep all the sweet spots in the graphics the same. It's annoying to have 12 different custom keys for effects because the artist felt like having a little more animation off the top. You see this mess up a lot on air where the video cuts before or after the effect is done.

Be sure to factor in latency. Sure everything is frame accurate and digital now but you might have to massage the effect a few frames here or there. Or you might need to make the effect cover video for more than a frame. (I don't think i have ever made one more than 5 frames to cover a cut.)

Or you could always make it easy on yourself and edit it all in post...

Shoot me a message or reply if you have any more question or want me to sent you some "tweeners" i have made.

Archived