Local coverage of Michael Jackson's death

johnnya2k6

Since I already started a thread on how the international media is covering the death of Michael Jackson, what about the angle in your area?

I know it wasn't the lead story (they've got to get the serious news out of the way first), but I'm sure there had to be local reaction from fans.

In New York City, the local stations spent a lot of time on the story. On Thursday at 11PM, WNBC spent the first 21 minutes on the story. Then they did weather and were back on the Michael Jackson story. There was no sports report. On Today in New York on Friday, most of the show focused on Michael Jackson. Very little of the show consisted of local news.

Also on Friday morning, WABC spent most of their time on the story. Jim Dolan was in Los Angeles, Anthony Johnson was at The Appolo Theatre in Harlem, and Lisa Colagrossi was reporting from Manhattan on how people are remembering him.

We found out about 10 minutes until the 5 - and the producers scrambled to get a story together - then we found out about a generic live shot at :30 seconds after the hour that we had to get ready for quickly, because we found out about it 1 minute until show - so needless to say, it seemed a little rushed at 5...at 10 we did the same generic live shot, except we were more prepared that time.

All of the stations here in Albany, NY basically did a network story then local reaction for the most part. At 6:30pm, WRGB/CBS6 did a Live shot with a reporter in LA. I'm glad our local stations aren't doing as much special coverage as the networks --way too much!

Archived