Roger Rose moving in @ ABC7

ctmajka

I got the 10pm open/rejoin tonight. He doesn't sound quite as bad here, but on the 11am, 4pm, and 5pm, he seems to talk too fast, and there are awkward silences between each name. I guess it's just one of those things you have to get used to:

http://www.imeem.com/people/vc7PBGT/music/hV4JwDHX/wls-tv-inc-wlstvrogerrose10pmwav/

Your thoughts?

amazingly, nowhere near as bad as I pictured. He's playing it straight and not doing the uber uptempo/fast talking voice that bugged me when he was voicing WPSG. Of course he might be doing that on the other opens, but it seems sort of okay here.

The usual problem I had with Roger Rose when he was voicing 57 was that he was TOO energetic. Everything he did sounded like he was grinning from ear to ear when he said it. When he tried to do serious, that didn't work.

I think they need to at least leave Ron Rolland's voice on the newscast intros. The new ones are terrible. Then if they want someone else to do promo announcements then that would work I guess.

Overall, I'm not impressed. This is another example of Emily Barr cutting payroll, after she said it wasn't needed at WLS.

Rose isn't the worse you'll ever hear, but I'd have to say Rolland was much better.

well - I can understand Emily Barr's reason for doing this. I was surprised to hear that Ron Rolland was essentially a staff announcer for the station, and under contract specifically to WLS.

*No* station does that anymore. Everyone is freelance now as far as voice goes. Rolland was quite possibly the last of his breed.

well - I can understand Emily Barr's reason for doing this. I was surprised to hear that Ron Rolland was essentially a staff announcer for the station, and under contract specifically to WLS.

*No* station does that anymore. Everyone is freelance now as far as voice goes. Rolland was quite possibly the last of his breed.

To my understanding, Ron offered WLS to continue being their voiceover freelance and management considered it. However, in the direction station management is going now with the station, they wanted a new voice now, as I quote from someone at the station, " that sounds 28, not like an old man". Otherwise, they would have just continued using Ron Rolland per diem..

Trust me, the cuts WLS is making are very very tiny compared to the other stations in town.. And the cuts have been planned out and discussed with much of the people involved ahead of time. They aren't doin the mass show up to work one day and here's your pink slip by lunchtime layoffs that all the other stations in town have pretty much done. WLS isn't in the financial hole that some of the stations are in. They are just preparing ahead incase things do go down so they don't have to have mass cuts.

Here's what I don't understand...why Roger Rose? The open/rejoin I posted is the best one of him...that's saying something. He crams everything, so instead of saying "ABC-Seven-News", it sounds like "a-b-csevenewws". And in the other talent opens & the other 10pm rejoin where Ron & Kathy's names are switched, he insists on emphasizing wrong syllables Mark Giangreco's name...Oy. I would've liked to see them hire someone a little more natural sounding.

Agreed! Roger Rose almost sounds like the automated overhead paging voice at O'Hare airport. It does not sound natural at all. Only difference is, the airport voice speaks much slower than Roger Rose does in the ABC7 open/rejoin.

That's the new automated system. It cuts the music short all the time. today the system completely cut off the end signature on the close. It's starting to get on my nerves. haha.

When did they start implementing it? The news at 11AM (or maybe 4PM, can't remember which) was a freakin' mess yesterday with TONS of audio failures, poor switching, incorrect graphics being displayed. Did/are control room staffers losing their jobs with the switch to automation? I'd assume so since I'm pretty sure they only need like one or two people in there to run things.

I've never seen a station switch to automation smoothly, but I think WMAQ takes the cake for the worst switch to automation in the market.

The news at 10 was bad again tonight. At one point, a "NEXT" teaser graphic popped up right over Ron Magers while he was finishing a story at the desk, then when the actual teaser began, the music cut off about halfway through teaser, and I believe they just finished it without music.

They decided to end the newscast with music from a Beyonce event, but when they went to switch from the Beyonce video to the camera facing the window, the music cut out for several seconds until they could get it going again. I know this is a known bug in the Ross OverDrive automation system. Is that the system they're using at WLS?

Archived