WKRG Fires Reporter Over Plagiarism

Mario500

Last night on TV5's 10:00 PM newscast, the news of reporter Glenn Austin's termination became known to viewers. News director Dan Cates announced Austin's depature in a story about the station dealing with an "instance of plagiarism" after discovering that a report featured on WKRG.com was from an uncredited source. Here is my profile of Austin:

Glenn Austin

(1994-2007 WKRG)

(In Broadcasting Since 1978)

Troy University student Glenn Austin began his broadcast career as a disc jockey at WRES Radio. After graduating in the earliest point of the Eighties, Glenn began his adult career as WQSI's assistant station manager, which led up to directing news operations at WPAN in Fort Walton Beach. Glenn continued up the ranks with a seat at Panama City station WJHG's anchor desk and later as news producer/bureau chief at North Carolina's WITN. Glenn's journey into TV news continued down the East Coast until finally in 1994, TV5 hired him for reporting. During his years at WKRG, Glenn has successfully proven how his northern travels from station to station have given him the skill to cover events on the Gulf Coast. He has received plenty of awards, including one Emmy. He was last seen at TV5's Baldwin County newsroom in Foley. In his spare time, Glenn could be seen keeping a good eye on a local Boy Scouts troop.

An outside source's news story about Santa Rosa County, Florida banning sexual offenders in public parks was posted on WKRG's website due to what the news director calls "a breach of ethics". The outside source was not properly credited for the story. Since WKRG and its corporate owner Media General do not tolerate plagiarism, reporter Glenn Austin was terminated.

Today's Mobile Press-Register quotes Glenn Austin denying that he posted the news story written for the Pensacola News-Journal. He found the article on the newspaper's website and sent a copy of it via e-mail to other WKRG employees, including the news director and assignment editor. According to Austin, someone in the newsroom posted the article on WKRG.com before removing it minutes later upon realizing that it was a mistake. Unfortunately for Austin, his name was attached to the article.

News director Dan Cates says the article was put into the "content pipeline" (e-mail folder) for publication on the station's website and not the e-mail folder for general information among staff. He said the writer's byline was removed before the article went into the e-mail folder. The Pensacola News-Journal seems to be satisfied with WKRG's handling of the situation.

Last night on TV5's 10:00 PM newscast, the news of reporter Glenn Austin's termination became known to viewers. News director Dan Cates announced Austin's depature in a story about the station dealing with an "instance of plagiarism" after discovering that a report featured on WKRG.com was from an uncredited source. Here is my profile of Austin:

Glenn Austin

(1994-2007 WKRG)

(In Broadcasting Since 1978)

Sorry Glenn but you are wrong !!! Don't Lie !!

Rock on,

Tybois Uphold

Editor/News Director

SVRTV-Winchester, VA

Troy University student Glenn Austin began his broadcast career as a disc jockey at WRES Radio. After graduating in the earliest point of the Eighties, Glenn began his adult career as WQSI's assistant station manager, which led up to directing news operations at WPAN in Fort Walton Beach. Glenn continued up the ranks with a seat at Panama City station WJHG's anchor desk and later as news producer/bureau chief at North Carolina's WITN. Glenn's journey into TV news continued down the East Coast until finally in 1994, TV5 hired him for reporting. During his years at WKRG, Glenn has successfully proven how his northern travels from station to station have given him the skill to cover events on the Gulf Coast. He has received plenty of awards, including one Emmy. He was last seen at TV5's Baldwin County newsroom in Foley. In his spare time, Glenn could be seen keeping a good eye on a local Boy Scouts troop.

The above comment was NOT made by me. My "svrtv_editor" account was hacked and passwords changed. My apologizes for any and all comments made. Admins, please trace, if possible, the IP addresses where the logins are coming from on the "svrtv_editor" account.

I am working with my ISP, lae enforcement and others and they are being tracekd down and since they have hacked your systems, hey another change can't hurt.

Tybois Uphold

"The Real SVRTV Editor"

Editor/News Director

SVRTV-Winchester, VA

http://www.svrtv.net

Archived