WWAY drops weekend news

Ntropolis

More evidence of the broadcast industry's decline, this time in a small market. WWAY in Wilmington, NC has dropped newscasts on the weekend.

http://www.myreporter.com/?p=3161

I've always found WECT to have a much better product than WWAY. WWAY has no noon newscast, and runs a program called "Your Hometown Show" weekday mornings that's a glorified infomercial.

Well lucky Meghan (who is a friend of mine) has been moved to co-anchor the 11PM news with Steve. At least they didn't let anybody go but they hadn't even replaced there weekend meteorologist after Sonya Stevens left.

WWAY has always been the weakling in that Wilmington market. They were dropped in the Myrtle Beach area many years ago, while WECT was on until last year. They aren't on many of the systems WECT is on.

They dropped sportscasts 2 or 3 years ago, and their news is kind of boring. WECT, even though they moved George Elliott from chief meteorologist, still is #1 because they have little competition.

WWAY has always been the weakling in that Wilmington market. They were dropped in the Myrtle Beach area many years ago, while WECT was on until last year. They aren't on many of the systems WECT is on.

They dropped sportscasts 2 or 3 years ago, and their news is kind of boring. WECT, even though they moved George Elliott from chief meteorologist, still is #1 because they have little competition.

Yeah, the only area that I can think of that WWAY is on that's out of market is the Jacksonville area, and that's not far from Wilmington itself.

Archived