News 12 Networks

nynewslover

I've never actually seen any of the News 12 networks, but I know NY1 launched an HD channel in March 08, but with no HD content whatsoever...just sidebars 24/7. Since there are so many News 12 operations, it wouldn't be very economical to go HD.

I've never actually seen any of the News 12 networks, but I know NY1 launched an HD channel in March 08, but with no HD content whatsoever...just sidebars 24/7. Since there are so many News 12 operations, it wouldn't be very economical to go HD.

Not sure what you mean by "there are so many News 12 operations." There is Connecticut, Long Island, New Jersey, Bronx/Brooklyn, Westchester. Bronx/Brooklyn are in the same building too. That's a lot less than say Gannett that put all their stations in HD... or other companies.

I think News 12's graphics/studio overhaul may be HD ready.

That's still 6 seperate buildings in one DMA. Last time I checked, 7 news ops in a market can be classified "many".

How can you compare Gannett to Rainbow Media? Gannett is one of the largest broadcast groups in the country, they would have way more money to upgrade their news ops to HD.

Edit: You forgot News 12 Hudson Valley.

That's still 6 seperate buildings in one DMA. Last time I checked, 7 news ops in a market can be classified "many".

How can you compare Gannett to Rainbow Media? Gannett is one of the largest broadcast groups in the country, they would have way more money to upgrade their news ops to HD.

Edit: You forgot News 12 Hudson Valley.

Yes... News 12 Hudson Valley. And, you're correct -- you can't compare Gannett to Rainbow Media. Rainbow Media doesn't have furlough days, Rainbow Media has better equipment, Rainbow Media has a staff and Rainbow Media has a strong focus on news. And Gannett??? I think I've made my point. :D My point being before you got upset with me... I'm sure it's just a matter of time before News 12 does the HD thing. Their sets and graphics appear to be HD ready. Maybe not all of them... but NJ, CT and LI I'm sure would be the first. :)

then you obviously haven't watch News 12 NJ.. It's the crappiest studio i have ever seen.. On top of that ..it's falling apart... There's no plans to upgrade neither. Fios 1 News looks to be ready for HD and they've only been around for 2 months.

out of all the news 12s CT has the nicest set... but almost all the news 12s have the new updated same graphics (except NJ) but as everyone the follows News 12 knows Long Island usually gets everything new first... so we just have 2 wait and see

I hope so.

Its so damn blurry, IMO worse than SD!

You're right, News 12 Long Island always looks kind of blurry and washed out. I don't understand it. I can tell you that it looks crisp in their control room but it's like Cablevision gives News 12 the worst bandwidth or something. HD would be nice but I wonder if that would also be a poor picture.

Don't forget this... News 12 is an automated network especially on the overnight hours. And they can't forget their "InfoBar" on the bottom of the screen that is automated as well. And they are still using equipment from the 90s. Also Cablevision/Rainbow doesn't care about production/quality value because they now people are going to watch it anyways. My words... don't expect it to go HD for a while.

Archived