Slightly late: KTXL expanding news Sept. 14

caliwxdude

If you have the distinct displeasure of residing in the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto television market, get ready: you're in for another hour and a half of crappy news every weekday.

Not to be outdone by its Tribune brethren, KTXL FOX 40 Sacramento is launching a 60-minute newscast at 11:00am and a 30-minute newscast at 5:30pm on Monday, September 14. I don't see any definitive anchor pairings on their website as of yet, but I'd have to assume current FOX 40 Live anchors Natalie Bomke and Paul Robins will front the 11:00am show, and 10:00pm anchors Jaime Garza and Donna Cordova will cover the 5:30pm show.

The 5:30pm show will be up against the network newscasts on KCRA, KXTV and KOVR, and marks the first 5:30pm newscast for the market in quite a while (I think KXTV had news from 5:00 - 6:30pm in the late 1990s). Seems to fit in with the Tribune strategy of programming news early evening time slots when they're the only game in town. The 11:00am show will compete against KXTV, which isn't much of a competitor these days so it should prove to be at least somewhat interesting.

If you have the distinct displeasure of residing in the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto television market, get ready: you're in for another hour and a half of crappy news every weekday.

Not to be outdone by its Tribune brethren, KTXL FOX 40 Sacramento is launching a 60-minute newscast at 11:00am and a 30-minute newscast at 5:30pm on Monday, September 14. I don't see any definitive anchor pairings on their website as of yet, but I'd have to assume current FOX 40 Live anchors Natalie Bomke and Paul Robins will front the 11:00am show, and 10:00pm anchors Jaime Garza and Donna Cordova will cover the 5:30pm show.

The 5:30pm show will be up against the network newscasts on KCRA, KXTV and KOVR, and marks the first 5:30pm newscast for the market in quite a while (I think KXTV had news from 5:00 - 6:30pm in the late 1990s). Seems to fit in with the Tribune strategy of programming news early evening time slots when they're the only game in town. The 11:00am show will compete against KXTV, which isn't much of a competitor these days so it should prove to be at least somewhat interesting.

KXTV had a 5-6:30 PM Newscast under Belo's ownership from 1990 until 1998 when Gannett bought out the station. When Hollywood Squares (1998-2004) came on at 6:30 PM, the news was moved to 5 PM and 6 PM with WNT at 5:30 instead of 6:30 PM. (The two stations on the west coast that has WN at 6:30 are KABC in LA and KGTV in San Diego)

Anyway, I live in the southern part of the viewing area (More closer to the border with the SF Bay Area) but the 5:30 PM Newscast will be on 7 days a week as Teri Cox (the alter ego of KGW Portland anchor Tracy Barry) and Rick Boone (Who swapped with Joe Orlando a while back) will be heading the weekend run. BTW, anyone know whatever happened to Louisa Hodge the one who did the weekend weather anchor before reporting? It's a way that most Tribune stations are doing to improve their image by having their TV stations air news in unconventional timeslots (KTLA's 1 PM Newscast and WPIX's upcoming 6:30 PM Newscasts are one example). You have to see that the company is under that fallout by Sam Zell after he bought the company in 2007.

Archived