When Diane Sawyer Takes Over, Could ABC News Get a Star Composer?

newscenter

We all know that Diane Sawyer will be the new frontperson of ABC News. That is, when her former GMA co-anchor Charles Gibson steps down from his post at World News Tonight. She will be competing against Katie Couric of the CBS Evening News, and it will be the second woman to be sole anchor anchor of a network evening newscast.

I know John Williams (Star Wars, E.T., Indiana Jones, Superman) composed the theme for Tom Brokaw and Brian Williams at NBC News (a.k.a The Mission). I know when Couric was about to be the frontwoman at CBS News, James Horner (Titanic and Krull) composed the new theme for CBS News, so he can compete with John Williams.

The question is, when Diane Sawyer takes over at ABC News, could David Westin hire a star composer to make a new theme, just like CBS did for Katie Couric with James Horner?

Bill Conti could be an awesome choice, seeing that he did compose the PrimeTime Live theme song for Sawyer and her co-anchor Sam Donaldson.

THe obvious question is: Why? The 4-note ABC News sounder is integrated into everything: radio, television and the internet from morning to night(line). It's an easily recognizable sound.

It's not that way at CBS, primarily because the original CBS "Evening News" theme was an afterthought anyway and never fully integrated into all news programming like ABC and NBC, so changing it wasn't that big of a deal.

And quite frankly, no one gives a shit who composes the theme music. Ask any random person on the street and I would almost guarantee you they wouldn't know who composed "The Mission" nor would they know who Bill Conti is.

THe obvious question is: Why? The 4-note ABC News sounder is integrated into everything: radio, television and the internet from morning to night(line). It's an easily recognizable sound.

It's not that way at CBS, primarily because the original CBS "Evening News" theme was an afterthought anyway and never fully integrated into all news programming like ABC and NBC, so changing it wasn't that big of a deal.

And quite frankly, no one gives a shit who composes the theme music. Ask any random person on the street and I would almost guarantee you they wouldn't know who composed "The Mission" nor would they know who Bill Conti is.

I couldn't agree more. No way in heck they're changing the theme at ABC. It's right up there with the NBC chimes. If ABC changes themes, I'm shaving my head.

Yeah, but I bet a large percentage who don't give a blank, could hum both ABC and NBC's Signature.

ABC already *has* a theme, and I think they've done quite well using Score Productions and Kalehoff to do the updates. I don't think I'm that eager to hear the theme as interpreted by Danny Elfman.

NBC tapped John Williams *in response* to ABC. CBS went to Horner for similar reasons.

Frankly I'd be surprised if ABC makes any stylistic changes other than changing "with Charles Gibson" to "with Diane Sawyer". (Personally I'd like to see them restore the broadcast to its rightful World News Tonight name, but I don't think that'll happen.)

Archived