LX NEW YORK FAILS, WABC LOSING AT 11

NYxaq

LX New York, the hourlong lifestyle program WNBC launched in the timeslot, has posted a meager 0.6 average households rating for the past three weeks of the television season—Sept. 21 to October 8—according to Nielsen Media Research. That represents a 40% plunge from the same period a year ago, when the hour was filled with entertainment show Extra at 5 p.m. and a newscast at 5:30 p.m.

...AND...

Channel 4's late news, with Chuck Scarborough and Sue Simmons, has fallen 19%, to an average 2.9 households rating, but it wasn't the only station to see its numbers fall at 11 p.m. WABC was down 16%, to a 5.4 household rating. WCBS rose 31% to a 5.5.

SOURCE:http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20091009/FREE/910099987

I hate to see WNBC at those numbers, because Chuck and Sue doesn't deserve those numbers. WNBC has dug themselves into a big hole, I hope the executives over there are happy.

Good news for WCBS. So is WABC finally dethroned?

Well, I think we all new ratings for this new lifestyle show on WNBC was going to have epic fail written all over it. I haven't been in the area since August, and just by judging from a 3 minute video on YouTube, it seems terrible. Exces at WNBC and NBC are probably kicking themselves!

As for WCBS winning at 11, that is kind of a surprise since WABC has been the top dog for years, however, WCBS has posted some pretty decent gains in the past few years. I really like the team of Chris and Kristine. They have improved dramatically over the past few years.

Same info from the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/10/09/2009-10-09_ch_2_news_auto_advertisment_during_broadcast_sign_of_disturbing_trend.html

In addition to the 11pm newscast, the early evening newscasts on WABC also dropped, while WCBS and WNYW saw gains. With 1 month to go until sweeps, it will be interesting to see if WCBS can pull a major upset.

As for WNBC at 11pm, it's obvious the Jay Leno show is dragging the ratings. Maybe NBC should rethink the strategy. I remember there were talks about eliminating the 10pm slot all together and start late night earlier and having local news at 10pm. That might turn out to be a better idea.

I hope LX New York sends a message across the country that these female-targeted "lifestyle" shows do not work (in the afternoon anyways... maybe at 10-11am). Name one that's been successful.

I wish more stations would take a page from WCVB ("Chronicle").

Archived