Favorite Weather Graphics

newsguy

Looking at two opposite ends of the spectrum, I dig WTVD's for their use of 3D (even though I hear render times are insane) and the less-is-more approach of WCCO. Depends on what system you're using, though -- some cool stuff is easier on some systems than others.

for me, anything WeatherCentral. I think they are hands down the best wx platform in the business. What I like the most is how they are almost renderless. If you make something in 3DLive, yeah you have to render, but for the main graphics computer (the rundown) its renderless, which is great in severe weather, or when you need to change something on the spot. I also think they give a wide variety of flipbook (icon) options (look at them here...http://weathercentralgraphics.com/cutouts/Index.htm ) as well as other graphics

As for stations wx cast, I like KTVI, WLS, KIRO to name a few...

I wish there was a way to get my hands on those icons from WeatherCentral.. The only good ones I can find on the internet are these from KMEG: http://kmeg.images.worldnow.com/images/incoming/tsr_weather/Mostly_Cloudy.png

I Like WPTV's old ones before scripps changed their graphics, WISH, and WPXI are also good..

for me, anything WeatherCentral. I think they are hands down the best wx platform in the business. What I like the most is how they are almost renderless. If you make something in 3DLive, yeah you have to render, but for the main graphics computer (the rundown) its renderless, which is great in severe weather, or when you need to change something on the spot. I also think they give a wide variety of flipbook (icon) options (look at them here...http://weathercentralgraphics.com/cutouts/Index.htm ) as well as other graphics

As for stations wx cast, I like KTVI, WLS, KIRO to name a few...

Yes, 3D:Live is quite easy to work with...there are a few exceptions to this tho: I've seen the WSI: TrueView, which also uses a similar rundown screen to WXC, and you can pan and zoom the base maps inside the rundown instead of having to open a seperate program to create it, then render, then import it into the rundown.

If even WXC allowed both Rundown and the 3D:live render program to be operated simultaneously, it would be a improvement. There are some set-ups I have seen where rundown and render are on seperate boxes, which allows for that, but not every station is set-up that way (the render box "pushes" the new image into rundown...but it's an extra expense, obviously).

I don't know which system you are using, but if you are using WXC, I suggest making your futurecast modelling in 3D:Live render. One of the benefits is the ease in panning and zooming the image if you need to.

Yes, 3D:Live is quite easy to work with...there are a few exceptions to this tho: I've seen the WSI: TrueView, which also uses a similar rundown screen to WXC, and you can pan and zoom the base maps inside the rundown instead of having to open a seperate program to create it, then render, then import it into the rundown.

If even WXC allowed both Rundown and the 3D:live render program to be operated simultaneously, it would be a improvement. There are some set-ups I have seen where rundown and render are on seperate boxes, which allows for that, but not every station is set-up that way (the render box "pushes" the new image into rundown...but it's an extra expense, obviously).

I don't know which system you are using, but if you are using WXC, I suggest making your futurecast modelling in 3D:Live render. One of the benefits is the ease in panning and zooming the image if you need to.

Yeah, Render is the best to use for FutureCast, Im not a big fan of the way the text is in Render, but the way it looks in Rundown is really nice. I think that MetroVision is a great tool as well, it is so realistic it scares ya, and all you have to do is take a day shot and a night shot, and the fokes at WXC will even up both images, throw in some realistic looping water, and make adjustments to each to create clear, ovc, partly cloudy lighting to it. Billboard is a cool tool, ive seen some cool stuff created with that.

I also think that ESP:LIVE is better than VIPIR. I know im opening up to some criticism, but ESP is so understandable to the viewer, the tool is also very versatile. I think that VIPIR is great, but great for the meteorologist, in some cases I think its confusing. When your in severe weather it can get confusing with all the the SCIT arrows, rotating circles, lightning icons. There are some nice algorithms, but thats were I draw the line.

Omni is SO overated by Baron, I think that it is confusing, and graphic wise, low quality. It looks confusing from what Ive seen of it, and pretty simple, compared to other stuff Ive seen.

I'm actually a WSI partisan myself.... You have a lot more flexibility, and the stuff just looks better. (You can make WxC stuff look pretty good, but it requires some tweaking -- I'm thinking KTRK here.) That said, though, the new 'renderless' WSI platform, which is awesome, takes quite a few cues from :LIVE.

I do give WxC a slight edge when it comes to their data sets. I mean, how hard is it to keep a running high and running low for the day; and daily, 6, 12, 24, and 48-hour precip? (My WSI trainer said a lot of people there ask the same question.)

WSI is okay, definately second. But I belive that WXC beats the pants off of WSI when it comes to customer service.I think they beat everyone when it comes to that. If you look at the wide, wide variety of supplied graphics. The HD mapping in 3DLive (render) is spectacular. Now, WXC has were you can imitate like WSI with the changing sky conditions when your in 3D, it makes for some nice mapping. I think 3DLive rundown is great for anything, and I think it runs smoother than WSI, I actually think your more versatile with WXC. Alot of people say your limited with Rundown, but thats because they dont utilize Render like they should. And Ive seen these new dynamic templates WXC uses, and there pretty spectacular.

I think if you look at it, alot of the big severe weather stations,ad big stations are usig WXC, like KWTV, KTVI, KAKE, WHNT, WGCL, WLS, WISH, KWCH, MSNBC, ABC to name a few. I also have hard rumors that WFTV might be switching over to WXC.

I think WSI has its strengths over WXC, and its weaknesses.

I have always disliked AccuWeather, but Ive actually seen some cool stuff with CinemaHD. I like some the way it can animate 3D in front of the presenter.

Archived