Kill CW Branding on URL, Get more hits to your website

kjohnson

WCWJ in Jacksonville found out trading mycw17.com for yourjax.com is paying off. 150% increase in hits between May and September.

More in Broadcasting and Cable:

Abstract:

WCWJ Jacksonville VP/General Manager Marc Hefner figured he'd see a traffic bump when the station rebranded its Website in the spring, though maybe not quite the spike that materialized. Following its acquisition by Nexstar, WCWJ swapped its MyCW17.com URL for YourJax.com—scrapping the CW outlet's traditional branding for an entirely new Web moniker.

Users in DMA No. 47 have responded to the new URL, along with fresh content like celebrity-focused weekly Webisodes and interactive weather radar for the market. Hefner says that page views are up a whopping 150% from May to September, clicks on banner ads are up 44% and the revenue increase has been “significant.”

“It's been fun to see it grow,” he says, “and it's been fun to see the revenue outgrow the page views.”

Thoughts? The new url is easier to remember than mycw17.com

Remember the good 'ol days when the website was simple like kplr.com, etc.?

I think it's just that they have a better site now! Though "Your Jax" may be more Google-able than "My CW Whatever". Honestly, how many people type in a URL to visit a site as opposed to either finding it via a search engine or pulling it up from their bookmarks, history, or from a link on a social network or bookmark service somewhere. Especially since a lot of the chosen web site address are hardly intuitive. (What's the matter with call letters? In most cases they're unique -- if not, append TV to the end.) I usually find a TV station's web site by looking the station up on Wikipedia and jumping from there.

That one's an ode to "We Are Penn State," right? wtaj.com would still be easier...

I think so, being that they are so close to Penn State and they sometimes tout themselves as being the leader of Penn State Nittany Lions coverage.

And yes, wtaj.com would be easier for viewers to remember. Infact, I just found out that the "wtaj.com" url still works to get to their website.

Archived