Dave Roberts Making "Big Decision" at 11pm Tonight

Jess

Looks like the beginning of the changing of the guard at WPVI with Dave's announcement and the death of sports director Gary Papa earlier this year. I'm probably willing to guess that longtime anchors Jim Gardner, Rob Jennings and reporter Lisa Thomas-Laury (who have all been there roughly the same amount of time) will no doubt wrap their careers up pretty soon, hopefully on THEIR terms.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=resources/inside_station/station_info&id=7125083

He is retiring, as I suspected when I saw the teaser last night. Last day is December 11th. Thankfully this means he'll still co-host the Thanksgiving Parade one last time before he retires.

It's not like it's unexpected. He's 73 years old - looking GREAT for 73, mind you - and he's been cutting back for the last few years. He only does weather three days a week now, only at 5 and 6. It's to 6's credit that they're letting him slowly fade away like this.

There's no question about his replacement - they're clearly setting up Adam Joseph as the next Dave Roberts. He does Dave's weather slots on Mondays and Tuesdays. He's relentlessly pushed in promos. And he's doing a lot of the non-news lifestyle/special programming that used to go to Dave. Unless they just have Cecily do all the weather reports, he'll slide in seamlessly at 5 and 6. Just like all the other openings 6 has had.

Also, off the point... but last night's newscast was the first time I've ever seen them use the short MCTYW open at 11pm. Probably just a temporary thing because they had three major features - Dave, the Winter Forecast, and some stupid cougar thing. The A block lasted 20 minutes and Jim was flying through everything at breakneck speed. Yet despite all the crap they had to cram in, they managed a vocal close.

Also, off the point... but last night's newscast was the first time I've ever seen them use the short MCTYW open at 11pm.

I'm curious...what is this short open you speak of? Is it just the sig. of the package, with a quick show of the ACTION NEWS 6 thing at the end of a normal open?

Short open is more or less this:

It's still the montage but shorter and with an edited music cut to match. They also haven't updated the voiceovers since Gary's passing, so the voiceover cuts out at "Action News, Delaware Valley's leading news program".

There's no question about his replacement - they're clearly setting up Adam Joseph as the next Dave Roberts. He does Dave's weather slots on Mondays and Tuesdays. He's relentlessly pushed in promos. And he's doing a lot of the non-news lifestyle/special programming that used to go to Dave. Unless they just have Cecily do all the weather reports, he'll slide in seamlessly at 5 and 6. Just like all the other openings 6 has had.

Seamlessly, except if he takes over Dave's shifts, Someone will have to take over his weekend shifts (Erica Grow), and then 6 would need to hire someone to take over her weekend mornings shift. A few years ago this would probably be the route 6 would take. Infact, it was when Sally Anne Mosey left, and they hire Erica Grow. However the climate has since changed, and 6 isn't immune. If anything things are even tighter after the money spent on the new building.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they just did what they normally do when Dave has the entire week off. That being Adam works 3 weeknights along with his weekend shift, and Erica Grow works the other 2. If not that, then I would look for 6 to take a similar approach as what cbs3 does. That being Adam & Cecily both working one weekend shift, and during the workweek when the other has his/her other day off he/she works the entire 5, 6 & 11 solo.

Archived