Some news from Portland, ME...

HoustonTVNews

WPFO's new newscast debuted earlier this week... Not sure what to say about it so far, given that it's the first week and all. Not surprisingly, it uses the same graphics & music that WGME does, although the image of Portland used in the titles looks better than what 13 is using for late evenings, IMHO. What I can say though is that you do see more of the secondary set that WGME uses for several segments of it's own newscasts, though the background with the eye is moved out of the way and is replaced with a Fox Logo.

Another point is that they have a static bug in the bottom left hand corner of the screen that resembles the new Fox O&O logos. The only difference is that the '23' in the middle looks to be in Haettenschweiler, and the word 'Maine' at the bottom of that logo is almost totally invisible.

WGME's 5PM News has a new co-anchor these days. It's Jeff Peterson, who was last seen anchoring at WMTW and reporting during the WGME's morning news soon after, has been promoted after a few months to a fairly prime spot in the anchor's chair. Gregg Lagerquist seems to be doing the 6 PM newscast as a result. From what I've heard, longtime anchor Doug Rafferty opted to take a less intensive role at the station, occasionally appearing in special segments and as what someone there termed as "a spokesperson" for the station.

WCSH seems to be airing a rebroadcast of the previous evening's "207" magazine-show at 4:30PM, and has rebranded it as "207 at 4:30" in the process. As a result, they bumped their hour of "Judge Alex" up to 3:30-4:30. Looking at titanTV & TV Guide's listings, it looks like sister station WLBZ in Bangor is also airing this at 4:30, though Dr. Phil looks to have been moved to 7PM on that station as well.

Norm Karkos has been working the mornings as Rachel Ruble's co-anchor on WMTW's News 8 This Morning for a while now... not sure how long that's going to last. Certainly they're trying to hunt for a more permanent personality to fill the spot.

Actually, it looks like Norm is the permanent morning anchor - WMTW's site has a listing for a Sports Director.

I noticed the 207 re-broadcast about a week ago... even though they're re-runs, it's nice to see a station committed to local programming.

I have only seen the first "News 13 on FOX" broadcast. They use the "Mini-Set" in different ways: for instance, while tossing to commercials, Kiley Bennett stands away from the desk, but framed by the set's various monitors on both her left and right sides (which display relevant video to those stories). Additionally, the broadcast uses many chroma-keyed standups for reporters in-studio(even the Sports report does this) which continues a recent trend in WGME's shows. An article in the Press Herald said that they would have use of national FOX feeds, but so far I've only seen CBS national feeds. All in all, a good broadcast that uses the "A" talent from their 11:00 PM show (minus Gregg).

With Jeff Peterson's move to "Live at Five", newcomer Kate Barker now appears to be the primary morning reporter on WGME's "Daybreak".

Below are some images of the first "News 13 on FOX":

1. The ending screen of the promo - "Just 90 seconds away on FOX 23"

2. Kiley Bennett with the headlines (plus a wider view of the set)

3. Beginning of the open with call-letters

4. Set and O&O-style bug

5. Sports stand-up chroma key (taken from the coming up promo)

Why is there the fox 23 bug in the corner? :-\

The newscast airs on FOX 23, but is produced for them by WGME 13 (CBS). They change their mini-set to a FOX backdrop and add the FOX bug in the corner to reflect this.

With Jeff Peterson's move to "Live at Five", newcomer Kate Barker now appears to be the primary morning reporter on WGME's "Daybreak".

Below are some images of the first "News 13 on FOX":

1. The ending screen of the promo - "Just 90 seconds away on FOX 23"

2. Kiley Bennett with the headlines (plus a wider view of the set)

3. Beginning of the open with call-letters

4. Set and O&O-style bug

5. Sports stand-up chroma key (taken from the coming up promo)

Thanks for posting the examples. I can't pull in 23 all that well at my place so this is helpful :)

Thanks for posting the examples. I can't pull in 23 all that well at my place so this is helpful :)

You're welcome. WPFO's signal doesn't come in well at my home either, but I was lucky to be at school (I guess...) where I got it from cable.

Archived