WABC / Consumer Reports

wabceyewitness

Is anyone else concerned about the so-called "news" segments being aired by WABC under the guise of a Consumer Reports segment at 11pm? It's quite clear that these are likely just VNRs produced by Consumer Reports and and then voiced over by local talent. There is no original reporting, production or research being done. Most important, there is no editing of the report taking place, meaning WABC has given up editorial rights for these segments.

A big disappointment for WABC, and also a surprise considering their refusal to enter a joint helicopter and/or news-gathering agreement with other stations.

I believe that there are restrictions placed on any Consumer Reports branded segments. The magazine and parent company take great pride in being seen as a completely impartial source for product information, and don't take advertising or endorsements. So I think that they limit what the local stations can do with the segments. When WTXF had the license they always said "Consumer Reports says" in regards to the content, and they never did the more investigative consumer-type pieces (i.e., "is this infomercial product actually worth $19.95") under that banner.

Interestingly, WPVI just picked up the Consumer Reports license so I wonder if they made a group deal with the ABC O&Os.

CBS 2 runs VNRs all the time. They're usually consumer or health stories and are often even the stories that are promoted for the 11:00 news. It's pretty easy to tell as the shots aren't in 16:9, except for maybe an occasional reporter standup outside the building or in an office.

Not only does it bring up all sorts of ethical issues but it is incredibly lazy.

Archived