Don Cannon In Trouble Again

jestbiteme

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Don Cannon is in trouble with the law again:

Former television news anchor Don Cannon was placed in the Allegheny County Jail yesterday for violating terms of his probation for two driving-under-the-influence convictions.

Cannon, 70, whose real name is Donald James Clark, was taken into custody by Allegheny County sheriff's deputies on a probation detainer signed by a county judge after his probation officer learned that Cannon had been drinking at the Bethel Park motel where he was staying.

Cannon, who moved to the West Coast after his 2008 convictions, was returned to Allegheny County in November when Common Pleas Judge Donna Jo McDaniel issued a bench warrant for his arrest for failure to serve his sentence. One of the conditions of Cannon's probation is that he refrain from drinking alcohol.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_677809.html

That's sad stuff. Don was a big deal back in the day. I remember when he returned to Pittsburgh and wound up at KDKA; promos showing a tree branch floating down the river and Don speaking about how, before he was in treatment, that's what his life felt like. Caught up in something he couldn't escape. Prophetic? Maybe... but I don't have sympathy for someone who drinks and drives. What's your take?

I really liked Don Cannon when he was on KDKA. I had read about how when he was at WTAE in the early 90's he apparantly was drunk on a newscast and I had heard that he had problems with alcoholism. He seemed to have been doing better while he was at KDKA until he was off the air for a while beginning in July 2007 after apparantly being ill. He returned for a little while and then was arrested twice for DUI in November 2007. After that, he never appeared again on KDKA. He then went west to California and now we are hearing about all of these problems that he has been having recently.

I think that this whole situation is very sad and I hope that Don is able to atleast turn his life around a little bit.

Archived