WGN's Cafe Nueve Now Closed

lazynetjunkie

You can watch some videos here: http://www.wgntv.com/news/morningnews/wgntv-morning-feature-adios-cafe-nueve-april29,0,2672353.story

I was wondering how much longer they were going to try to keep that thing open. WGN was the last station in Chicago to still have a full service cafeteria. Really, the days of a station needing its own cafeteria are gone.. Most people at WGN and other stations just bring their own lunch or buy from nearby fast food or sit down restaurants. It'll save the station some money. Cafe Nueve has been with WGN since that building was built. Now, it'll just be a regular breakroom with a row of vending machines like all the other stations in town have.

In Boston, I think that the WBZ studios, which house WBZ-TV, WBZ-AM, WBZ-FM, WSBK-TV, WBMX-FM, WODS-FM, and WZLX-FM, are the last remaining broadcast center with a cafeteria.

WBZ-FM, WBMX-FM, WODS-FM, and WZLX-FM are housed at the old TV38 studios on Birmingham Parkway (a 5 minute drive apart).

NBC Studios in Burbank (KNBC) still has a comissary.

I don't really count the ones at the NBC Studios in Burbank or NBC Rockefeller Center in NY as being the station's own because those aren't actually the individual station's (KNBC or WNBC) commissary. The budget and money for those don't come from and aren't controlled by KNBC or WNBC so they don't put any financial strain on the station itself.

It's funny you say the word "commissary". WGN doesn't call theirs that because I remember someone saying on one of the morning shows a few years back that it sounded too snooty for the station to use a word like that. lol.. WBBM calls their breakroom (breakroom is what most people and I at the stations in Chicago call it) the commissary eventhough it's only refrigerators, microwaves, vending machines, and coffee makers.

It really only makes sense to have one if you're in a facility that has alot of productions going on (like the NBC Burbank lot or NBC Rockefeller Center) but for individual stations to have their own, they cost more than they're worth.

Archived