WWL's Rob Nelson heading to ABC News

PelicanGuy

WWL-TV's Rob Nelson headed to ABC's overnight newscast

By Dave Walker, The Times-Picayune

Rob Nelson, who three years ago moved from a job as a reporter in the Times-Picayune’s West Bank bureau to news anchor of WWL-Channel 4’s morning show, has been hired to anchor “World News Now,” ABC’s overnight newscast.

“Three years ago (WWL) took a big gamble on me,” Nelson said Wednesday. “I was an unconventional hire. Now that the end is here, I think the gamble paid off on both ends. I will always be extremely loyal to Channel 4. They gave me the break.”

"World News Now” originates from New York City and airs in New Orleans weekdays from 2:35 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. on WGNO-Channel 26.

“Somehow I managed to find an even worse schedule,” said Nelson, whose air shift at WWL-TV starts at 5 a.m. “I guess the one silver lining here is I’m used to working odd hours. It won’t be too tough.”

Nelson, a 31-year-old New Jersey native who worked for the Times-Picayune for seven years before making the jump to TV, said he will coanchor the newscast with Vinita Nair, who has worked “World News Now” since September 2008.

“Regardless of employment, the hardest part of all this is leaving New Orleans,” Nelson said. “This is a city that gets in your blood, and makes you feel very much at home real quickly.

“New York is New York, but nothing will be like New Orleans. I’m a lot more sentimental about this than forward-thinking.”

Chris Slaughter, WWL’s news director, announced Nelson’s departure, effective after his May 28 anchor shift, in a Wednesday (May 12) memo to his staff.

“Another one of our guys is headed for the big time,” said the memo. “This is one of those announcements that mixes joy with sadness. I’m very happy for Rob personally and professionally. At the same time, I am a bit sad that he won’t be on the morning news confounding Sally(-Ann Roberts) and Eric (Paulsen) with his strange sense of humor and questionable dance moves.”

“World News Now” airs in New Orleans weekdays from 2:35 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. on WGNO-Channel 26.

I figured Hubbard was on the way out, he's been filing a lot of stories for Nightline since late last year. I was hoping they would give the slot to Todd Connor - he and Vinita Nair display awesome chemistry together. Hopefully Mr. Nelson and her click!

Archived