WFRV sold

WXGZ-TV

From what I've been told, CBS has been looking to spin off it's local stations since the split..

Why not start with the less important ones on its roster? (Don't start bitching at me that there are other stations more deserving to be sold, I don't care. I'm just saying, this is what they're doing. They've been looking to sell.)

Guest Former Member 207

Liberty has been in buying mode lately...back in December, Liberty acquired three of Fox's regional sports networks (Pittsburgh, Northwest, and Rocky Mountain) and News Corp's stake in DirecTV. Also, Time Warner finalized its deal to sell the Atlanta Braves to Liberty just a day or two ago, and now the WFRV/WJMN deal.

What hell is going on over at Black Rock? Is CBS in financial trouble? First the announcement that they are selling off KUTV, KEYE and couple other of their CW stations and now the WFRV sale.

It's part of their continuing strategy to own larger market stations. The same goes of CBS' radio stations.

This should be interesting considering WFRV will be Liberty Media's first broadcast TV holding. I have no idea what this could lead to, either WFRV will be run as an autonomous entity like Liberty's other holdings (i.e. QVC) or they are planning on establishing a local TV division.

Deos anybody think that this could hurt WFRV?

Probably. WFRV's news department has greatly improved after being owned by CBS. Tom Zalaski, Erin Davisson, Tammy Elliott, and Kris Schuller are all paid pretty high (at least for a mid-market station). I wonder if Liberty will be as willing to shell out cash as CBS was.

When CBS acquired WCCO-TV WCCO-AM, WFRV, and WJMN, they tried to sell WFRV & WJMN because they didn't want to lose highly-rated affiliate WBAY. Of course, they were never ably to sell those stations, so they were forced to give WFRV & WJMN the CBS affiliation. I wonder if CBS will be looking to affiliate with WBAY again now that they won't be owning WFRV/WJMN anymore.

I wonder if CBS will be looking to affiliate with WBAY again now that they won't be owning WFRV/WJMN anymore.

Extremely unlikely. Affiliation swaps are less likely these days because the networks don't care as much about affiliates. Unless the affiliate is doing an absolutely crappy job, it's staying where it is.

Obviously we're watching this with interest in Green Bay. So far the GM is quoted saying Liberty will have a pretty hands-off approach since they don't know how to run a TV station.

It wasn't a question of whether CBS would drop WFRV; it was just part of a package deal CBS bought. But the parent was good to WFRV, as evidenced by their Green Bay Packers deal and a much-improved Viacom-powered web site.

I see one of two possibilities:

1) It was no coincidence Liberty picked up WFRV at the same time it bought sports properties, given the Packers/NFL package and the drama of Brett Favre's final season(s). Liberty gets the station practically for free and cashes in, then cashes out in 3 to 5 years.

2) Liberty saw a low-cost opportunity to test the local-TV waters, dips its toes in, and decides it likes it enough to create a station group. Depending on what markets Liberty wants to focus on, WFRV becomes the little fish, the middle child, or the flagship -- but any way, this option looks good for Kidder.

Archived