Kate Sullivan moving to WBBM

Dustin

From http://blogs.vocalo.org/feder/2010/07/cbs-2-imports-new-york-co-anchor-for-10-p-m-newscast/30758#more-30758 :

This just in: After 16 months of flying solo — and pretty much under the ratings radar — Rob Johnson soon will find himself with a new partner on the anchor desk at CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2.

Kate Sullivan, who’s been a morning news anchor at sister station WCBS-TV in New York for four years, will join Channel 2 here as a Monday-through-Friday news anchor this fall. Johnson currently hosts the station’s 5, 6 and 10 p.m. weekday newscasts by himself.

News of Sullivan’s hiring was announced to Channel 2 staffers at a hastily called station meeting Wednesday afternoon after New York media sources had confirmed the move with WCBS. No specific anchor assignment or start date for Sullivan was announced, but insiders said she is expected to turn up sometime after Labor Day on the 10 p.m. newscast alongside Johnson.

Sullivan, 33, a native of Massachusetts and graduate of the University of Notre Dame, was a reporter at WSBT-TV in South Bend, Ind., and WJAR-TV in Providence, R.I., and was a reporter and news anchor at KATV-TV in Little Rock, Ark., before joining WCBS in 2006. She also has appeared as a co-host on CBS News’ “The Saturday Early Show.”

Johnson’s last anchor partner, Anne State, was taken off the 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts in April 2009 as part of a wave of budget cuts and retrenchments at Channel 2. At the time, she was demoted to full-time reporting duties and anchoring only at 5 p.m. State left the station when her contract was not renewed last March.

The addition of Sullivan would bring to 11 the number of anchor combinations Channel 2 has had on its 10 p.m. newscast in the past 10 years. As has been the case throughout the decade, Channel 2 continues to lag far behind its competitors in the ratings.

Even with the expected addition of Sullivan, Channel 2 general manager Bruno Cohen and news director Jeff Kiernan may not be finished tinkering with their anchor lineups. Rumors persist that they’re determined to reunite the legendary anchor team of Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson, presumably on one of the station’s early-evening newscasts (since both publicly have ruled out any interest in anchoring at 10 p.m.). But that scenario remains highly speculative.

Kurtis and Jacobson, who last fronted Channel 2’s news operation in its glory days more than 20 years ago, returned together for a one-night stint on the anchor desk last November. Since February, Jacobson has been contributing his “Perspective” commentaries twice a week on the 10 p.m. newscast.

Quite a shake up at WCBS. Will it be Cindy Hsu or Mary Calvi that takes Sullivan's spot? I vote for Cindy, but I think they might choose Mary since she was favored over Cindy to do the weekend broadcasts.

Cindy would be good but they also can bring someone new young, and hip and change up the format of the show. The show is pretty dry in the morning. What happened to the interviews... The show is pretty boring. They should bring back The 2 Crew with Shon Gables. Shon and Maurice would make a nice morning team, I believe. (Wishful Thinking)

I hope she works out here in Chicago.. I know there were other candidates that would have gotten top pick but CBS has a big thing now about transferring/hiring from within the company instead of hiring from outside to save the company money. That's why I'm also expecting WCBS to just promote someone from within the station, not bring in someone new (unless they already work for another CBS O&O station). Seeing that WCBS is hiring a new meteorologist/reporter, this might be their justification move.

I personally would have liked to see Mary Ann Childers brought back or even Roseanne Tellez teamed up with Rob Johnson.. But I understand the station wanting to keep the "morning security" of Roseanne.

According to The New York Post, WCBS is interviewing possible replacements, including Lisa Daniels, a former blonde, now dark-haired, from MSNBC.

Lisa Daniels was with CBS 2 back in 03. This also explains why Kate was absent from the new 'Go Pink' Promos...

New York's loss is certainly Chicago's gain. She is a class act journalist who I have enjoyed watching for the past few years. Even though I am a little shocked that she is leaving WCBS, this is probably a better move for her since she will now have more normal hours. As for her replacement, I don't know why WCBS doesn't just promote someone they already have, even though Lisa Daniels is a bit familiar with the station and anchored on the cable network level for a few years. Mary Calvi or Cindy Hsu would be great replacements. Mary has been the primary fill-in for Kate and moving her to weekdays would give her more of a normal schedule since she has done early morning and late evening news on the weekends for years. On the other hand, Cindy has been with the station since the early 90's and is familiar with the early morning shift.

According to The New York Post, WCBS is interviewing possible replacements, including Lisa Daniels, a former blonde, now dark-haired, from MSNBC.

CBS would be stupid to hire Lisa Daniel. I find her to be dull and boring especially when she was the weekend morning anchor back then. I say promote within Cindy or Mary.

I think a big problem is pairing an anchor with Maurice. He doesn't warm up easily to a new member. I don't think he had good chemistry with any of his past co anchors at WCBS, his chemistry with Kate is luke warm at best and it has been 4 years. And it seems he has a thing against John Elliot. Maybe they should replace him as well.

I think a big problem is pairing an anchor with Maurice. He doesn't warm up easily to a new member. I don't think he had good chemistry with any of his past co anchors at WCBS, his chemistry with Kate is luke warm at best and it has been 4 years. And it seems he has a thing against John Elliot. Maybe they should replace him as well.

Yeah, Maurice is very dry to watch in the morning. He doesn't seem interested.

Well NY's loss is Chicago's gain. The morning newscast is the ONLY newscast I watch on CBS 2. I actually would have liked to have seen Kate on our late night newscasts in NY. I can't stand Lonnie Quinn and Kristin Johnson on the later newscasts,. Kristine just bothers me. I think it is that mousey voice of hers. As for Chris Wragge, he's growing on me. But I do have to mention he works out at my gym and he appears to be a big tool.

Kate Sullivan will be missed in New York. She has proven to be a capable and compelling anchor during over run as co-anchor of WCBS-TV's morning and, more recently, noon newscasts. However, I think she ultimately will be even better as an evening anchor than as a morning anchor. She exudes a quiet confidence at the anchor desk, never overpowering her co-anchor, and she is a strong news reader with a great voice. I just hope that she will be successful at WBBM-TV, a station with a long history of constant anchor changes.

As far as her replacement at WCBS is concerned, I hope they replace her with an internal candidate. My first choice would be Cindy Hsu, and my second would be Mary Calvi. Richard Huff, in today's Daily News (in the print version - I can't find the article online), indicates that Mary Calvi will be taking Sullivan's morning and noon anchor slots, and Cindy Hsu will be taking Calvi's weekend slots, until a permanent assignment is made.

Cindy Hsu has been with the station for about 17 years now, and her talent has been wasted (in my opinion) as a reporter and fill-in anchor over the past few years after being demoted from her noon anchor position, a job that she held for 10 years. Hsu is a pro at the anchor desk, and deserves to return to full-time anchoring on a permanent basis. Hsu also demonstrates great warmth and personality when she anchors, which is ideal for a morning newscast. Additionally, she has worked well with Maurice DuBois whenever she has filled in for Sullivan.

In the alternative, Mary Calvi also would be a fine choice to replace Sullivan. Although I am not Calvi's biggest fan, she has done a solid job anchoring the weekend morning and evening newscasts over the past few years, and she also seems to work well with DuBois whenever she fills in for Kate Sullivan. The station also appears to favor Calvi over Hsu, as they have had Calvi anchor both the morning and evening newscasts on weekends, while Hsu has only been a reporter and fill-in anchor. Finally, if Calvi gets the job on a permanent basis, Cindy Hsu presumably would become the weekend morning anchor, which would be, in my opinion, a win-win for both the station and for viewers.

The Post indicated that Lisa Daniels has interviewed for the job, but I would not like to see her return to the station. Daniels has an impressive resume (Harvard Law School graduate, MSNBC anchor, NBC News Correspondent), but was a terrible anchor on the weekend morning newscasts back in 2003 alongside Mario Bosquez, and I find it hard to believe that she would be any better today.

For some reason I believe Cindy just doesn't want to be the anchor of CBS 2 News This Mprning or work on any morning newscast. She's been there, done that... and now she has a child.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty suprised by seeing this, I think they would have dumped Kristine first. But I think that sending Kate to WBBM was one of CBS's worst decisions, Kate is one of the worst anchors out there (plus she's not that nice of a person, trust me), it would have made a lot more sense and save money to use just three anchors (Rob, Bill, Walter).

I'm not trying to be a bad guy I just feel that it won't work out, it's not like they've had a female anchor last longer then 5 years since Linda.

I would have done it like this:

5PM: Rob & Walter

6PM: Bill & Walter

10PM: Rob and Bill

Too bad they couldn't have bought back Lester & Linda too!

I was pretty suprised by seeing this, I think they would have dumped Kristine first. But I think that sending Kate to WBBM was one of CBS's worst decisions, Kate is one of the worst anchors out there (plus she's not that nice of a person, trust me), it would have made a lot more sense and save money to use just three anchors (Rob, Bill, Walter).

I'm not trying to be a bad guy I just feel that it won't work out, it's not like they've had a female anchor last longer then 5 years since Linda.

I would have done it like this:

5PM: Rob & Walter

6PM: Bill & Walter

10PM: Rob and Bill

Too bad they couldn't have bought back Lester & Linda too!

Kate wasn't replaced at WCBS by a new hire from outside, and WBBM letting Anne State go is what justified WBBM being able to snag Kate. I'm sure there were a good number of others outside the company that WBBM would have rather picked over Kate but CBS is really discouraging hiring of new people from outside and to just hire/transfer from within to save the overall CBS O&O group money. If Kate doesn't work out, then so be it. Kate will just now have a top evening anchor position at a top market station to add to her resume.

Kate is unknown to the market and Chicago has a very hard time accepting new unknowns to the market. It's something that WBBM has proven numerous times but they still take them in. A bigger downfall is that she comes from the east. For some reason, Chicagoans never take a liking to talent that comes from out east. And Chicago talent that leave for out east and then come back don't seem to work out well either.. I just wish her luck here at WBBM.

I think WBBM may have been better off just promoting Krystyn Hartman. She did a really excellent job as a solo fill-in anchor for Rob Johnson last week and I know she would have excellent chemistry with Rob Johnson.

Bill and Walter are very aware that it may not work out with them either. If it doesn't, there won't be any feeling bad by those two. They are very aware of the situation at CBS 2 and are just happy that they have been given an opportunity to anchor again. Bill and Walter have been on the station's payroll for a while now and I don't think they'll be making as big of a dent in payroll as other talent because they aren't doing full shifts each day. They're pretty much only coming in the late afternoon to anchor one newscast and going home. Mike Flannery leaving after almost 30 years at the station has freed up ALOT of payroll to make having Bill and Walter anchor possible.

I don't think Rob/Walter or Rob/Bill would work out either.. They're 2 completely different styles and I think there would be a sense of awkwardness with those mixes. Plus, Bill and Walter have made clear that they don't want to be working at 10PM every night..

As for bringing Linda back, management will just say that she was given 16 years and she hasn't made an impact on ratings. However, I think CBS network news should really look at trying to get Lester Holt to anchor the Evening News. I think it's time for "overpaid pretty eyes" to go. Getting Lester will really attract the viewer demographic that has been lacking on evening national news for many many years. Along with changing the music, graphics, and overhauling much of the format of the CBS Evening News to make it feel less like a boring church service, Lester could really make an impact with it.

Archived