WLS hopping on the 4:30 AM News trend

Spring Rubber

Not only WLS..

WFLD FOX Chicago silently jumped onto the 4:30AM bandwagon too. They're really changing things up on the morning show. The large comfy red chairs from the old set are back and are now being used again for the morning show. I'm liking what I'm seeing on the morning show so far.. They're really going into the "Good Day" format that most other FOX stations have instead of the straight up repeated newscast blocks WFLD had been doing for so many years.. And FINALLY, they're using the morning music cuts from the more recent update of the OSI FOX O&O Package..

Also, I'm getting the feeling weekday mornings isn't going to be Meteorologist Mark Strehl anymore and that it's going to be Chris Sowers. It appears traffic anchor Sondra Solarte is getting a more prominent role in the mornings. They're chatting with her more and she seems to be doing some actual reporting on the noon newscast now.

Surprised no one posted about this yet; I just saw the commercial for it today. They are also launching an 8 AM newscast on Saturdays starting in September.

VIDEO: http://abc7chicago.com/video?id=7584473

STORY: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=resources/inside_station/station_info&id=7584513

Chicago's number one morning show now kicks off your day a half hour earlier!

Get all your news, weather, traffic and more -- and get on with your day. ABC 7 News This Morning-- starting at 4:30am, beginning Monday August 2, 2010.

The Monday through Friday 4:30am to 7am news block will be anchored by our #1 morning team: Hosea Sanders, Judy Hsu, Meteorologist Tracy Butler and Traffic with Roz Varon.

Not only WLS..

WFLD FOX Chicago silently jumped onto the 4:30AM bandwagon too. They're really changing things up on the morning show. The large comfy red chairs from the old set are back and are now being used again for the morning show. I'm liking what I'm seeing on the morning show so far.. They're really going into the "Good Day" format that most other FOX stations have instead of the straight up repeated newscast blocks WFLD had been doing for so many years.. And FINALLY, they're using the morning music cuts from the more recent update of the OSI FOX O&O Package..

Also, I'm getting the feeling weekday mornings isn't going to be Meteorologist Mark Strehl anymore and that it's going to be Chris Sowers. It appears traffic anchor Sondra Solarte is getting a more prominent role in the mornings. They're chatting with her more and she seems to be doing some actual reporting on the noon newscast now.

Just tuned into WFLD a few minutes ago; they were already talking about sports just 6 minutes into the show - sounds Monsters and Money in the Morning-ish.

Just tuned into WFLD a few minutes ago; they were already talking about sports just 6 minutes into the show - sounds Monsters and Money in the Morning-ish.

It's only been 1 day and they already bought new furniture for the morning show.. lol. I knew they were aiming to add more sports talk in the morning and have Tom Waddle stop in every so often. I think they really intended to bring Monsters and Money elements into the show...

Is 7 going to hire a co-anchor for weekend mornings again? It seems silly to have Stacy Baca solo all of it.

2 would be wise to launch a newscast for 30 minutes at 4:30AM with Susan, then at least they might do a bit better in the mornings! But alas Monsters in the Morning continues to be a priority.:bang::)

Is 7 going to hire a co-anchor for weekend mornings again? It seems silly to have Stacy Baca solo all of it.

2 would be wise to launch a newscast for 30 minutes at 4:30AM with Susan, then at least they might do a bit better in the mornings! But alas Monsters in the Morning continues to be a priority.:bang::)

You really don't seem to keep up with reading up on Chicago news/media much.. Ben Bradley is going to co-anchor Sunday mornings and Stacy will permanently remain solo on Saturdays. A half hour 4:30AM weekday morning news with Susan (or something similar) is already in the works; however, management is still deciding what to do with Monsters and Money.. As of now, I don't think it'll be lasting much longer..

however, management is still deciding what to do with Monsters and Money.. As of now, I don't think it'll be lasting much longer..

Will they refresh the set again if it's canceled? If they do, that set will have seen more work than most do in their lifetime...

Will they refresh the set again if it's canceled? If they do, that set will have seen more work than most do in their lifetime...

Both their current set and their old "Works For You" set have seen more work than most sets have done in their lifetimes.. They actually still use the Devlin Design Group interview chairs from the original 2001 set on their current set for some interviews. Some original furniture pieces from that set have also made it to being actually used in some of the offices upstairs in their current building. Since they were used for such a short time at the old studios, they have been stored in the third floor warehouse of their old building and have remained in like-new condition.

They're supposedly going to be refreshing their current set pretty soon but nobody seems to know anything for certain at this point. However, they do use the Money and Monsters set (the large round table, that goofy conference room backdrop, and lightbox) for their new Sunday morning show "Unspoken". They just change the lightbox graphic to a graphic of some Chicago scenery. I still think they should just buy a replacement monitor to stick in there. It'll be much cheaper than constantly having new graphic panels made for that box.

President Bruno has made clear that ratings really need to improve soon on the morning show or it's back to a normal morning newscast which many believe is why Roseanne Tellez is remaining "free" from being an evening anchor. Since Monsters and Money was more of an experiment, I don't think Mike, Mike, Dan, and Terry got real long contracts. I think they only got a year.

You really don't seem to keep up with reading up on Chicago news/media much.. Ben Bradley is going to co-anchor Sunday mornings and Stacy will permanently remain solo on Saturdays. A half hour 4:30AM weekday morning news with Susan (or something similar) is already in the works; however, management is still deciding what to do with Monsters and Money.. As of now, I don't think it'll be lasting much longer..

I found out what happens in Chicago via NewsLab and ShopTalk. It can't all be added on every blog.

Archived