Jon Cash out at WAVY-TV

tw-804

From VARTV.com (from earlier this afternoon)...

Meteorologist Jon Cash's bio and weather blogs are now missing from WAVY's (10/NBC Portsmouth) website. We heard he was fired after the noon newscast. He was with the station for 21 years. More to come... (8/31/2010)

Update from The Virginian-Pilot:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/08/wavytv-meterologist-jon-cash-no-longer-station?cid=ltst

I went to WAVY's Facebook page and the fans aren't happy...

UPDATE (11:41PM) - I didn't know he's an evangelist. From his website...

"I was fired from my television job after 21 years of dedicated service at 1:30 in the afternoon on August 31st. Details of this sad event will be upcoming in the days and weeks ahead as I seek wise counsel. God has called me into full time service to Him. If you feel led by the Spirit to help me feed my family you can give your tax-deductable gift to my ministry through the donation tab. Thank you for your prayers and support as I enter into my God-given calling into His service. I pray the church of the Living God will support me through your prayers, financial support, and bookings to preach the gospel of hope that our country sorely needs."

Jon Cash : WAVY :: Duane Harding : WTKR

Agree. This can't end well, and there's another reason that puzzles me about the decision in that considering new meteorologist Sagay Galindo looks like she's due any moment, one has to wonder if WAVY is intending on a two-man crew of Don Slater and Jeremy Wheeler while Sagay is on maternity leave.

But yeah, this was a VERY boneheaded move by WAVY.

My 2 cents on this is that WAVY hurt themselves by not giving some sort of explanation (which one would expect if a station dumps one of their more notable on-air personalities). The only real justification I could give for any sort of station discipline would be for prosletyzing on the job, and that would seem to be something more deserving of a reprimand or at the most severe a suspension.

We used to have a guy who would literally call people "heathens". At first he was very cool, then he became one of those most bitter people after a couple of big screwups (though granted, the first one was blown way out of proportion by the immediate boss).

I haven't said much about this, but here are my two cents...

It's been a while since I've been a regular viewer of WAVY's morning news (I'm not up that early anymore) but Jon was a fantastic TV personality. People are making a too big a deal out of this though. Jon was never vocal about his faith on-air, and I'm disappointed that people are centering his firing around it. Some are making Jon to be a religious zealot; Newsblues headlines the story with "Axed Norfolk meteorologist goes on religious rant" and "Axed weatherman asks for tax-deductible donations." Others are coming to the conclusion that Jon was fired over his faith and that WAVY should be reprimanded for it. I do think Jon's announcement on his page shows that he's a little full of himself, though I'm sure he's a bit fired up (no pun intended) over the whole situation. From what I can tell, Jon's a great guy. He actually spoke at my church several years ago... I didn't speak with him personally but he has a true heart for his ministry. I think TV isn't where God wants Jon to be, so I lay off on the "Bring Back Jon" Facebook pages and such.

Someone at WAVY's kicking themselves right now. And whatever they do, please don't put Jeremy Wheeler on the morning news permanently.

Noticed last night that with Jon gone and Sagay Galindo on maternity leave' date=' WAVY brought in Brian Hill, a Hampton Roads veteran that had worked at WTKR as a weekend meteorologist in the late 1980s.[/quote']

He occasionally filled in on WVEC a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
Noticed last night that with Jon gone and Sagay Galindo on maternity leave' date=' WAVY brought in Brian Hill, a Hampton Roads veteran that had worked at WTKR as a weekend meteorologist in the late 1980s.[/quote']

Interesting the same thing happened at KGAN. Someone was fired and then a former KGAN Meteorologist from the 80s was asked to fill in and was basically there until he put his foot down and said hire someone.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The Virginian-Pilot: Jon Cash says he was fired for talking about ministry plans.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/10/jon-cash-says-he-was-fired-talking-about-ministry-plans

Cash also has announced that he plans to hold a “Spirit-filled, patriotic rally” on Nov. 14 at Mount Trashmore Park (a former landfill-turned-park) in Virginia Beach.

Daily Press: Jon Cash says he has filed discrimination complaint against WAVY

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-jon-cash-eeoc-complaint,0,5781259.story

UPDATE:

The Virginian-Pilot: Jon Cash says he was fired for talking about ministry plans.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/10/jon-cash-says-he-was-fired-talking-about-ministry-plans

Cash also has announced that he plans to hold a “Spirit-filled, patriotic rally” on Nov. 14 at Mount Trashmore Park (a former landfill-turned-park) in Virginia Beach.

Daily Press: Jon Cash says he has filed discrimination complaint against WAVY

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-jon-cash-eeoc-complaint,0,5781259.story

Okay. I guess I can just scratch my last post on this thread.

Archived