The FOX Network's FIRST EVER Network Evening Newscast - Would You Watch It?

newsteam13

The FOX Network's FIRST EVER Network Evening Newscast - Would You Watch It?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. The FOX Network's FIRST EVER Network Evening Newscast - Would You Watch It?

• I would give it a try
    • I would NOT check it out

My lifelong dream is to work for FOX News Channel. But, I want to be anchor, creator and producer of the FOX Network's FIRST EVER network evening newscast. This is how it would play out.

TIME FACTOR: 10:30pm/9:30 central, after the primetime local newscasts

There's too much competition in the time slot of Katie Couric (CBS), Diane Sawyer (ABC) and Brian Williams (NBC). Besides, most people can't watch a network evening newscast between 5pm and 6:30pm.

Be the First newscast to ever air FOUR HOURS LATER!!!

ANCHOR FACTOR: a black male anchor (me) married to a white female co-anchor

Make even more history as the first bi-racial husband and wife anchor team. No other network evening newscast had a mixed-race husband and wife anchor team. All I know of is Max Robinson (first black to co-anchor ABC's World News Tonight alongside the comeback man Peter Jennings) and Barbara Walters (before and after the transition of ABC's evening newscast).

CONTENT FACTOR: appeal to the younger demographic and working class audiences with straight news.

Cover the four categories of hard news: legal and law, science, business and economy, and education; not just the day's headlines.

For headlines and topical stories - what we can learn from the story, how we can think positive of the negative, and what we cna do to kick ass!!!! That's measuring newsworthiness.

And add some fun and humor, like Jon Stewart and the Daily Show. However, when adding funny stuff in one story, get input from sources. That way, no reporter will lose his or her credibility.

ALTOGETHER: The FOX Network's first ever network evening newscast, and the first newscast to air FOUR HOURS LATER (10:30pm/9:30 central); anchored by the first bi-racial husband/wife anchor team; bringing you Dan Rather-style hard news, but add some Jon Stewart fun along the way, but using journalism (reporting, fact checking, talking to sources) instead of opinion like Stewart and MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

The question is, would you watch this history-making show on the home of these shows (American Idol, The Simpsons, House, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, Family Guy and Bones)?

TIME FACTOR: 10:30pm/9:30 central, after the primetime local newscasts

I don't think many of the affiliates that currently have news from 10-11:30/9-10:30 would be too happy. I seem to recall that a few ND's didn't like the short-lived idea of Conan O'Brien coming to FOX at 11/10 and taking away half an hour of their local news.

Also remember that FOX's previous newsmagazine "tests" for national evening news have always ended in disaster. A Current Affair was rumored to be canceled because it was competing with FOX News Channel programming (O'Reilly rebroadcast I believe). Geraldo at Large was pulled because there wasn't a news lead-in in a number of markets. And there's a few more from the 90's...

I really, really doubt that FOX will ever have a evening network newscast. It doesn't fit with their image. And trying to add one in now just wouldn't work (as we've seen with their "tests"). And as time goes on, I see less of a chance of this happening.

I don't think many of the affiliates that currently have news from 10-11:30/9-10:30 would be too happy. I seem to recall that a few ND's didn't like the short-lived idea of Conan O'Brien coming to FOX at 11/10 and taking away half an hour of their local news.

Also remember that FOX's previous newsmagazine "tests" for national evening news have always ended in disaster. A Current Affair was rumored to be canceled because it was competing with FOX News Channel programming (O'Reilly rebroadcast I believe). Geraldo at Large was pulled because there wasn't a news lead-in in a number of markets. And there's a few more from the 90's...

I really, really doubt that FOX will ever have a evening network newscast. It doesn't fit with their image. And trying to add one in now just wouldn't work (as we've seen with their "tests"). And as time goes on, I see less of a chance of this happening.

It's simple really: air the local and state headlines from your local FOX station first (like at 9:00pm on KXRM (Colorado Springs, CO)), get the world and national news from FOX second (like at 9:30pm), and be done with it at the top of the hour (like at 10:00pm).

Geraldo at Large was pulled because it aired after the local news next hour. I know KDVR Denver aired that show at 10pm after FOX 31 News at Nine. I also remember shows (like Shepard Smith's The Pulse) ending in disaster; that's because it wasn't done right, like asking the audience before launching that newsmagazine (like a consumer study).

Archived