More Changes for WPTY/WLMT?

Jterry

Apparently WPTY/WLMT may be going back to the 90s; as of Today they have begun rebranding themselves as "ABC24 News", dropping "Eyewitness News" from their newscasts. There haven't been any graphics/set updates on the air reflecting this, but their website is already automatically redirecting from myeyewitnessnews.com to abc24.com and the home page logo has been replaced with a generic ABC24 Logo. Additionally, though again nothing has changed on presentation itself yet, the anchor/reporter IDs have changed from "ABC24 Eyewitness News" to just "ABC24 News".

WPTY used the "ABC24 News" branding from about 1997 until their change to "Eyewitness News" in 2002. Since then they have gone through several minor branding changes while retaining the EN name, until Today it seems. Still, its hard to tell what exactly is going on since all their newscast graphics are retaining the previous look and name, even their bug Today was flipping back and forth between the ABC24 Logo and the EN Logo as it has for a few years. Knowing them though, it will probably be many months before they even effort to update anything else.

Meanwhile, Cameron Harper continues to anchor solo on evenings with nothing known on whether they'll even bring in a co-anchor, and one of their top reporters Kevin Holmes just announced he is on his way out at the end of month for WRAL, with weekend meteorologist Jill Margetts also now gone mere weeks after returning from maternity leave over the summer. More and more it seems things there will just never be able to stabilize enough to make a dent in the Memphis market and certainly the new management isn't helping things based on what's been reported in the recent past.

We'll see if this apparent rebranding is a signal for further drastic changes to come.

I noticed that too this afternoon when i went to their website. So they've gone back to their old branding as "ABC 24 News" and "CW 30 News" respectively, after 8 years of the "Eyewitness News" moniker.

If there are other changes in the works, we probably won't be expecting them to happen until right before February sweeps (if Newport TV still cares about the two stations).

I noticed that too this afternoon when i went to their website. So they've gone back to their old branding as "ABC 24 News" and "CW 30 News" respectively, after 8 years of the "Eyewitness News" moniker.

If there are other changes in the works, we probably won't be expecting them to happen until right before February sweeps (if Newport TV still cares about the two stations).

That's probably the key question, if Newport still really cares about putting much money into them. They've been actively upgrading their group to HD and they have that new standardized look going out to a lot of their stations, but who knows if they even want to bother with the Memphis duopoly right now given how much work/money would be needed to have them brought up-to-date, not even counting going full HD. The facilities, equipment and production values are just so outdated and cheaply done, even the most radical and enormous upgrades and updates probably won't help the ratings situation anyway.

It would not shock me at all if eventually Newport gives up completely and shuts down their news operation at some point in the future, or at the very least cuts most of the staff/newscasts. Not sure if that's necessarily imminent or something even worth considering yet, but the situation seems so bleak I could definitely see it happening one day.

• 2 months later...

Just went to WPTY's website and they are now sporting a Circle 24 Logo (not a very good one) but still its a change and maybe a step in the right direction... the past two ABC stations that Newport TV switched to HD in Rochester and Syracuse NY both got the Circle 13/9... Just noticed that WPTY now also has revised graphics, when you watch the morning weather update it has blue graphics and a different look... They could have done a little better IMO...

Yes, WPTY unveiled a new package this morning including the new "circle 24" logo as mentioned above, but it seems Newport didn't throw any money into it, at least I hope not, given how bad this new look is. Aside from the circle being way oversized compared to the "24", the logo isn't the worst thing I've see at least. Also, some of the graphics are indeed a step up, but still most of it is very simplistic and almost amateurishly done. In addition, they are STILL using Palmer News Package.

They were in the newsroom over the weekend for a set makeover, which ended up only resulting changing out the duratran from the city skyline (that had the old Eyewitness News logos about) to a hideous solid light blue background with a few of the new logos plastered on the left end of it that doesn't even show during most anchor shots. Otherwise its just the solid blue behind, which of course only adds to the amateurish quality. The way the graphics are done indicate they aren't even close to HD yet.

Very sad IMO, I was hoping a refresh, if not HD-ready, would get them at least looking like they were trying to compete in a top 50 market, now I'd just about say they don't even look like they're going for top 100.

EDIT...a quick note to add: For their newscasts on WLMT, WPTY is no longer placing in a CW30 bug anymore, they are using the new animated ABC24 bug for those newscasts as well. The newscasts on WLMT are now known as "ABC24 News on CW30".

I have to agree with you about it not looking like a top 100 DMA newscast, its sad when stations in the 100 DMA have better looking set/graphics/music than 24. I know (probably) the "main" reason why they switched up their look and name was for the Feb Sweeps, and maybe it will help them gain modest interest but in the long term they need to step up their game. If Newport TV is the one who is shelling out the cash for their TV stations to move to HD it saddens me to see they kinda of left 24 in the cold. Memphis is the largest TV market (not counting WHP-TV in Pa, they are not HD yet but their graphics and look exceeds 24.) that has not gotten the "standardized" Newport TV package. I can deal with the non HDness but Newport TV could have at least graced them with a better graphics package, or newer equipment. I still hold out hope for 24... This article states that Newport "expects to have the company-wide conversion to JVC (HD cameras) complete by 2011." 24 may already have these cameras, seeing it also states "the GY-HD250 (JVC HD) cameras improve SD broadcasts while stations prepare for the inevitable local HD transition." So we have 11 more months to see if 24 is HD, as long as Newports plans stays in place.... Time will tell...

Below is the Article I quoted, very interesting read seeing how all the ones (except KLRT in Little Rock, Ar) that they were giving the HD cameras to are now in... HD...

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/2010/03/29/newport-television-goes-hd-with-jvc-cameras/

• 4 weeks later...

The shake up seems to be moving right along at WPTY.....

They have shuffled the Anchors around to different time slots...

http://www.abc24.com/content/bios/default.aspx

And the Feburary Sweeps have been posted for Memphis, no surprise that WMC is the big winner..

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/mar/03/memphis-based-wmc-tv-dominates-february-sweeps-per/

The sweeps looks similar to what it has been for the past couple of years now. Only big disappointment for me is WPTY has been doing a 10pm newscast since they became ABC while Fox 13 dropped their 10pm news just for 9pm, well Fox 13 started a new 10pm newscast months ago and they are all ready beating WPTY at that time slot... disappointing...

• 2 months later...

Well here is a little update on the twin stations. ABC was gracious enough to show the hometown Memphis Grizzles on their Playoff run. With the flooding and severe weather happening that day ABC 24 had a NON HD scroll at the bottom of the screen well that in turn made the HD feed of 24 go to SD which made the game only available in SD in Memphis. Grizz fans were obliviously livid. 24 facebook page was lit up with complaints and I am sure the Station got a few choice phone calls too. Well today ABC 24 is now rolling a HD ticker that does not make the HD fee go down to SD. I saw it when they were showing World News. The HD ticker looks really nice it looks a lot better than their new graphics package. It just goes to show you if enough people complain changes can happen. :rolleyes: Now it would be nice to see a true HD station/newscast like the other Memphis Stations. Glad to see something new at 24.

• 5 months later...

Apologies for the significant bump -

But yet more changes at WPTY/WLMT, and this time they really are going back to the 1990s. This past week, ABC24 rebranded their 10pm newscast as a "10@10" format, which is the branding they used for several years in late 90s. They start with a full weather forecast, then a rundown of the 10 biggest stories of the day in the first 10 minutes, then additional reports, more weather, and finally sports.

The changes come with an entirely new graphics package (across all newscasts), and while its still in-house and nothing mind blowing, its by far the best effort they've at least put in over the last 10 years. Finally, their new promos for the 10@10 newscast are produced and airing in HD, though the newscasts are not yet to my knowledge (been out of town over the last week so haven't been able to check to 100% confirm), so maybe, just maybe, WPTY is in the final stages of an HD transition. I imagine at least the new package is HD-ready unlike their previous. They're still on that horribly outdated set though which I can't envision would handle an HD newscast.

Apologies for the significant bump -

But yet more changes at WPTY/WLMT, and this time they really are going back to the 1990s. This past week, ABC24 rebranded their 10pm newscast as a "10@10" format, which is the branding they used for several years in late 90s. They start with a full weather forecast, then a rundown of the 10 biggest stories of the day in the first 10 minutes, then additional reports, more weather, and finally sports.

The changes come with an entirely new graphics package (across all newscasts), and while its still in-house and nothing mind blowing, its by far the best effort they've at least put in over the last 10 years. Finally, their new promos for the 10@10 newscast are produced and airing in HD, though the newscasts are not yet to my knowledge (been out of town over the last week so haven't been able to check to 100% confirm), so maybe, just maybe, WPTY is in the final stages of an HD transition. I imagine at least the new package is HD-ready unlike their previous. They're still on that horribly outdated set though which I can't envision would handle an HD newscast.

Well, even with the updated in-house graphics they have now, which are a huge improvement, their studio on the other hand barely qualifies as even looking HD-ready.

Current WPTY set:

th_331234_224839880903385_131742150213159_534589_1371967056_o.jpg

Also, from what I've heard was the case at WPMI in Mobile, Newport had apparently placed HD news upgrades to their other stations on hold at the moment due to cost.

Well, even with the updated in-house graphics they have now, which are a huge improvement, their studio on the other hand barely qualifies as even looking HD-ready.

Current WPTY set:

th_331234_224839880903385_131742150213159_534589_1371967056_o.jpg

Source:

Facebook/ABC 24 Memphis

Also, from what I've heard was the case at WPMI in Mobile, Newport had apparently placed HD news upgrades to their other stations on hold at the moment due to cost.

Yep, that studio has to have something done before they go HD (which I checked tonight, they are not). I wasn't aware, though not surprised to hear, about the cost issues with Newport putting HD on hold. That said, WPTY has actually come a long way just this past year in upgrading a lot of their equipment, but it will probably be well into 2012 I would guess before the full HD upgrade happens. They need some Newport money to get a set that doesn't look like its come out of the early 90s.

Just as a quick update, I caught the beginning of their 10pm newscast last night, and they accidentally played the opening in letterbox/widescreen format, which showed the new package is indeed HD-ready. Hopefully the rest won't be far behind.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for bumping this old thread.

Per the station's Facebook page this past Saturday, another makeover to the studio is under way and all newscasts have been moved to the newsroom for the time being.

Got a little different look as we do both ABC 24 and CW 30 News from our newsroom this week' date=' but have no fear, when the dust settles next weekend, you'll love the new look![/quote']

Not exactly sure what kind of new look they will have, but the fact that they are trying to do it all in one week has me wondering if this will be just another set refresh or a mostly new installation with HD in mind. Should be interesting to see.

I think it's HD as well, or at least the next step towards it. WPTY is now regularly airing promos, IDs, etc in HD. One promo they did last week for their 10p newscast used their full HD graphics package they debuted in October (which got a refresh itself last week) and HD field video. The studio seems to have been the only thing holding them back, and if indeed they're finally getting an entire new one, it should be on the way. Only speculating though on my part.

The previous refreshes were done either over a weekend or a couple of days, so this one seems more extensive. We'll see though.

According to Joyce Peterson ([twitter]MemphoNewsLady[/twitter]), the newscasts will be presented in 16x9 SD with plans to go HD in the future.

Another tid-bit of information from her as well:

https://twitter.com/...480558963888128

Back in the newsroom while new set is being built in the studio. Look for lots of monitors and standing, no sitting.

Back in the newsroom while new set is being built in the studio. Look for lots of monitors and standing, no sitting.

The fact that WPTY/WLMT will have its anchors standing during their newscasts once the new set is finished, and newscasts going to 16:9 SD sounds like they are copying part of the format used by Citytv Toronto in Canada.

According to Joyce Peterson ([twitter]MemphoNewsLady[/twitter]), the newscasts will be presented in 16x9 SD with plans to go HD in the future.

Another tid-bit of information from her as well:

https://twitter.com/...480558963888128

I wonder what's keeping them from full HD, doesn't seem like there'd be much left to do with the studio renovation now coming. That said, 16x9 is certainly better than what they have now, and at least its coming and hopefully won't be far off. More curious about the new set, if you take that tweet literally it sounds like no anchor desk at all, which is interesting. Certainly doubt its DDG work then, which then by no surprise has them getting the Newport screw job compared to WHP/WPMI. Wouldn't be shocked if its another in-house renovation.

I watched much of the 5 PM newscast just now and you could tell the local packages are being shot/edited fully digitally (and assuming widescreen) now.

I've always wondered why some stations don't just take the full plunge into HD. I would imagine that the one thing that is keeping Newport from upgrading this station is not upgrading the switcher to a new one or getting an automated production system. As long as the cameras can output a widescreen image, the CG can output widescreen, and the edit servers/tape decks can output widescren, it's just a matter of running the outputs anamorphically through the old system and master contol being able to stretch the image back into 16x9.

I would imagine seeing a lot of stretch-o-vision, especially with the old 4x3 elements (file video) being reused from time to time.

• 1 month later...

It appears that WPTY/WLMT has FINALLY upgraded to widescreen!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9GqKyhUvK4o

It looks like they aren't even in a studio at all....more like they set up shot in a conference room with a painted backdrop and some LCDs mounted to the wall...

No. That IS their main studio. The only difference is that the news desk is gone (replaced with a small pub table you can buy at Target or Walmart).

As TennTV reported, that is indeed their main "refreshed" studio, and as expected, it looks atrocious. Its probably a good thing they didn't go fully HD with that yet.

To be fair, aside from the bug which you can probably tell from that video is being stretched, most of their other stuff looks okay to decent. The graphics, weather, etc, all look fine. The field reports/video are probably the best aspect and honestly better quality than what WMC is still putting out on most days. Its just the studio shots that look horrific.

And as earlier said either here on in the HD thread, I can't blame 24 on this one. Newport obviously had a vested interest in upgrading two of their operations in an appropriate manner this past month or so, and didn't extend that to WPTY. It literally appears they just stopped by Walmart or Target to pick up a table and a few flatscreens. That back wall is the same wall they've used since 2003, just replacing the wallpaper from time to time over the years. Their studio space is plenty large enough to do a more extensive overhaul if they had the money, but Newport clearly didn't give it to them.

Archived